• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

It's 2014!

ddavis

Boss
Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Doug
A friend asked me to take a look at their internet operation. I was given remote access to their CRM. I couldn't believe was I was seeing. Most of the functions within the CRM hadn't been set up. Many of the reports including ROI were not functional. They just need to call their rep to resolve that.

The first thing I noticed was a terrible closing ratio. No matter what source, nothing closed at an acceptable ratio. They don't have a call monitoring program, so you can't listen to calls. The ISM can just mark that they made a call but there is no way to verify it. Obviously, you can't listen to it. They don't use automated responses. I picked an ISM and started looking at the initial response. They were all the same. They all thanked the customer for the inquiry and complemented them on their choice of vehicles and showed a picture of that model and said, we have this one. That is it. No description. No price. No call to action ....nothing! I thought that I can't judge their department by one ISM but they were all doing the same thing. This was followed by another email saying to expect a call from their assistant for addition information. The name of the assistant was the Internet Director for the store. I saw another email that asked to we have the correct email address? These two emails were sent over and over.

After thinking back over recent conversations, I decided that they are trying to work internet customers like retail, walk-in, customers. They are purposely avoiding giving the customer any information especially price.

Not having a dog in the race, I really don't want to discuss this with them. I haven't seen anyone that was able to work internet customers like walk-in customers and do it effectively. If this is their philosophy, I'm at a loss. Diplomacy has never been my strength and I can only see this causing hard feelings.

The problem is the leadership. I bet your looking at the tip of the ideberg.
Exactly my thought. That is why I am reluctant to say anything. I have friends here and the only thing that will happen is I will offend people.
It came from the top. Erased their email templates. They are trying to turn internet customers into retail customers. Actually, I tried that about 14 years ago. It was one of those trial and error learning experiences. I have yet to see anyone that was successful at that and do volume. Maybe we have a new internet genius.

Last edited:
I would ask them if they want you to be honest and if they can check their feelings at the door. If they did not think they had an issue I doubt they would have asked you. I know we have never meet but I got a feeling that you are the "If you dont want to know the answer dont ask the question" kind of guy, which I mean as a compliment.

I would ask them if they want you to be honest and if they can check their feelings at the door. If they did not think they had an issue I doubt they would have asked you. I know we have never meet but I got a feeling that you are the "If you dont want to know the answer dont ask the question" kind of guy, which I mean as a compliment.

Unfortuately, the new GSM would take it personally. I haven't seen him as open to new suggestions. He is confrontational and I don't want to make waves for other people.

I feel for my friend who is the Internet Director. If they expect numbers, doing things that way, it ain't going to happen. At best they can expect about 3 to 5 percent close if the leads are reasonably decent. That store has a huge potential and some pretty good people on the desk and in F&I.

All of us old guys, that started at the beginning, have already tried this. All we knew were the old school ways and we tried to mold the internet into what we knew. It didn't work then and it is a worse idea now. When I get emails, like that, I immediately mark it as "junk" which means no further emails from that source. I doubt that I am alone. After the initial email, they continue to spam the customer with another email.

Reactions: 1 person
Unfortuately, the new GSM would take it personally. I haven't seen him as open to new suggestions. He is confrontational and I don't want to make waves for other people.

I feel for my friend who is the Internet Director. If they expect numbers, doing things that way, it ain't going to happen. At best they can expect about 3 to 5 percent close if the leads are reasonably decent. That store has a huge potential and some pretty good people on the desk and in F&I.

All of us old guys, that started at the beginning, have already tried this. All we knew were the old school ways and we tried to mold the internet into what we knew. It didn't work then and it is a worse idea now. When I get emails, like that, I immediately mark it as "junk" which means no further emails from that source. I doubt that I am alone. After the initial email, they continue to spam the customer with another email.

Word to all you Internet Directors and Digital Marketing Directors out there. READ THIS THREAD AND THINK...

LISTENING & IMPROVING is a leaders job. Your life will be hell if you tie your work to a dealer that has his head stuffed up his ass. If your passionate about your ideas and efforts and want to find a better store to work for, judge the culture & leadership of the dealership by their reviews.

Are the reviews old and cold (or fresh)?
Is the manager replying to good and bad reviews?

It's really that simple. The culture of the store is seen in the leader's participation in important areas.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Will & Ed! It's so great that both dealers and vendors come together here to uphold the values that make Dealer Refresh the best!

Back to Doug's post...You're in a really hard situation with your friend looking for help and not having the support to take action or even hear your professional recommendations. What small steps can you help him take to start to right the ship without upsetting the Captain or tossing anyone overboard?