• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Job outline for Used Car Photographer (if doing in-house)

Autofair Honda

Tie Cut
Mar 8, 2010
First Name
Sean
I remember seeing a while back a job outline someone had made for this position. This is something my dealership is looking into. We're stuck between a rock and hard place. Dealer Specialties doesn't do a good job taking pictures of our cars, so my GM keeps saying I should take pictures. Unfortunately I am WAY too busy to do this, so I want to propose to him having a position dedicated to this.

Or if you could provide the link to the thread that would be great.

You guys know what I'm talking about right?

Thanks a bunch.

I looked all over because I too thought there was something here in the forums but I keep coming up short with the search.

Coming over to a new position with a new group, this was one of the first positions I hired for. Fortunately someone fell into my lap and I didn't have to actively search for anyone.

For some reason most people are really bad at taking photos. I'm not a photographer but taking photos always seem to come natural for myself. So I've been told.

Find someone that takes great pride in their photos. Someoone that truly enjoys it. The rest is easy to train.

Yeah, I just need to get my GM on board. He seems to think I can find a way to fit it into my or the BDC's schedule with the employees we have. I don't want to tell him no, so I need a practical solution. We have like 150 used cars and over 500 new but only sometimes take pictures of new It's definitely not something I can just "fit into my schedule". We're a very demanding dealership and Dealer Specialties unfortunately can't meet our needs. All that we ask is for them to care and not take bad pictures. We want them perfect. Showing up when they're supposed to with a desire to work would be nice too.

I'm actually about to start training a photographer/videographer for my store so I would love to see an outline as well. In the past what I have done is print out a photo presentation for a car that I shot the photos of. Then sent the photographer out to duplicate it.

My recommendation is to hire someone that is savvy and sharp, who knows how to take a bit of initiative in order to improve your photos.

Yeah, I just need to get my GM on board....We have like 150 used cars and over 500 new but only sometimes take pictures of new It's definitely not something I can just "fit into my schedule". We're a very demanding dealership and Dealer Specialties unfortunately can't meet our needs...

Lets explore everything.

If your a "very demanding" dealership with no clue on how to DIY, then how can you produce better work in-house? IF it's so "easy" then demand that your vendor train his data entry person to produce better pics.

If the GM thinks you can just "fit it in", then your GM has NO CLUE, he's just feeding you words to get you out of his office.

Money: How much less is DS's service without pics? Use savings to pay for new pic person.

If your pics are truely sub-standard and you need to bring this in house youneed to give your GM an "ahha" moment. Create a demo where the GM is not thinking about costs. Get pics of realestate ads of 2 houses that costs the same. One with sh*tty pics and the other with super pics. Start out with saying "if your wife is shopping for a new home on the net, which one is going to get the appointment?"

Then, do the same exercise with landscaping contractors (famous for sh*tty pics). Pic 2, and run the same scenario.... "which business is going to get the appointment AND hold the gross???"

Then, drop pics ojn his desk of your cars vs your competition.... game. set. match. (use a thumbdrive, go out and get high res copies to make your message have fire power)

Your store is just large enough to have an IT employee, you have a full time IT'er that's hiding in a closet somewhere (playing video games??) Toss him/her a camera and see if they have an eye.

Look at the TOTAL COST of DS services and bring it all inhouse.

Whatever you do DO NOT take over yourself! It is a lot of work! I did it and now I can't get them to spend the money on a full time employee! This is a full time job if done correctly...

Taking the pictures:15- min per car
Processing the pictures if any 5-10 min
Uploading the pictures 5-10 min
Vehicle options : 5-10 min
Vehicle description :5-10 min
Labels: 5-10 min
Moving the car 5-10 min

As you can see you can spend 1hour or more per car ...

How about taking videos? You know they will ask for that next!!!

Is this the post that you are talking about ?

Maybe is time for a new thread: Internet department structure!

Reactions: joe.pistell
Tell the DS guys exactly what you want/need. You are paying them for a service, let them know what kind of service you expect. There is some benefit to using a lot service as they do it as a living and can usually do it better and quicker as long as you communicate with them. Remember though, time is money, so if you want them to move the car a bunch of times and it ends up taking them a lot of time, they should be able to charge more. It amazes me how many people expect magazine quality photos and want it to happen for cheap....

If you can't do it in a reasonable amount of time or without hiring a full time guy, why is their time worth less $$$?

There is some benefit to using a lot service as they do it as a living and can usually do it better and quicker as long as you communicate with them.

Another benefit is not having to worry if your ultimate photographer decides to up and leave. Now you are quickly back to square one and scrambling to rehire and retrain. Ehh :mad:

Dont forget about the power of your local college/community college. Interns and/or entry level level employment in the field they are looking at. Think about having a creative writer that can also take photos - WOW, what the comments would look like. Usually only have to be flexible with the scheduling for them.

Also, older retired guys/girls. These people are ROCK SOLID, show up on time, do the work, and do it right. Again, a little flexible on the schedule. One I hired only wanted to work from 5am-12noon. No problem. Another would not work on Sun or Monday. No problem.

Just a few ideas. Both have always worked well for me.