• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Key Systems for Car Dealers

Re: Key systems

GE Keyadvantage here.

I like the system... It uses an electronic fob to record who opened vehicles. Keys stay with vehicles in a lock-box. We have yet to have one stolen by breaking in to the lock box.

Data is synchronized to a SQL database. This would be beneficial if anyone wanted to have CRM communicate with lock boxes.

Major problem is that if the battery in the box dies or there is a "glitch" you can not get the keys out of the box. This can be difficult if you only have one set of keys for some used car/truck.

Sys was fairly expensive. If you need more info on how it works I can send you more info.

It's KeyTrak here (and at at least one of our sister stores). Fairly straightforward from a day-to-day standpoint, though sometimes the fingerprint reader loves to foul up on a cold day. No clue on price competitiveness, but it works fine for us.

As a vendor the best system for getting keys quickly is a board with hooks in the back room. Simple and cheap. The other systems can work well if someone programs the keys into the machine in the first place. Most of the dealers that have an electronic system also have keys waiting around to be "put in the system"

Out of the electronic systems I agree that GE Keyadvantage is the most convenient as the keys are right at the car. We do have one dealer that bypasses the "box will not close without keys in it" feature by putting pennys in the slots so when you open the box it is empty. I would be quite upset if I spent a large amount of $$ on a system and the lot guys were bypassing it with a penny

Def. way too expensive, but we have a HUGE issue w/ lost keys at our one store and use KeyTrak. Way too expensive, software is kind of primitive, but it gets the job done and you feel really important using the finger print scanner to sign in.

We switched to the GE KeyAdvantage system about months ago and it is really good. We had KeyRegister before and the new upgraded system was very expensive and the annual support/maintenance can be pricey. Check out KeyAdvantage. Thus far it's been a good move for us especially when doing snow removal which will be huge where you guys are.

I hate key systems, most are a waste of time and money.

A few vendors have tried to tie their CRM into a dealer key system but I have never heard anything positive. I believe and I could be wrong but I thought a few years back eLead had their CRM tied into KeyVault.

KeyVault External Site

GE KeyAdvantage
- How much is that?

KeyTrack and KeyVault look to be the same..

Walk the floor of NADA and you typically find 4-5 different companies offering Key Systems for dealers.

Key Track and Key Vault are owned by the same company which is pretty much Reynolds and Reynolds. I believe they both integrate with Reynolds. I'm not sure about ADP. KeyAdvantage pricing is convoluted because its based on the number of boxes, keypads, register pads and locations you have. Its definitely worth a look. The technology is pretty good.