• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

"Lead Scoring" - anybody using it??

eddyshaf

Hat Trick
Jun 12, 2009
First Name
Edward
A frequent complaint of the internet sales consultant is having to wade through all the garbage you get with leads - mostly third party leads - and at one point there was a lot of talk about "lead scoring" and perhaps finding a way to weed out the junk prior to buying a lead.

Is anyone using Lead Scoring? Does it work? Love It? Hate It? Think about it?

Had it at the store/group I just left... we actually helped pilot and develop the product.

Absolutely perfect for the scenario you just described -- and there are other very good uses as well.

It really works -- your "10's" ARE GOING TO BUY, and very soon. Maybe not from you, but they will be making a purchase. Your "1's" are probably dreaming.

Good stuff.

Are you comparing the amount of money spent on leads versus your sales from those leads? That's the real simple way to figure out the quality of your lead provider. Of course you'll need to train your salespeople to do a good job of asking for lead source. A good CRM system will help you facilitate this data.

Might make for a good tool on DR if we could enter all the third party lead providers and then rank them based of effectiveness. Of course it could only be based on people who actually work at a dealership. Not sure some of the 3rd party lead providers would like this tool. Those who provide quality would benefit.

Salesmen have been doing this as long as I have been in the business ...qualify customers, through the glass, as they get out of the car. It's like turn on the lights and the roaches scatter, when the customer walks in the store. Shows you how far we've evolved in the computer age.

An ISM sees a low scoring lead. Think this might be a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Reactions: joe.pistell
No, we have the option in the CRM but I haven't set it up. Salespeople should be treating ALL customers and ALL leads as a priority. Salesperson gets a low rated lead they'll be less inclined to get on the phone, send out the e-mail as soon as possible. I want all my leads to be contacted back in under 30 min, regardless of the score..

Thanks everyone for the feedback - to comment on a couple of your thoughts -

@JQuinn - thanks for the confirmation that Polk is doing it and that it does work.

@Jerry - there is always the exception that proves the rule...one sale from 100 low scoring leads does not mean that scoring does not work...

@Kcar - I also want every lead worked with the same level of enthusiasm, but reality is that my ISM's are going to gravitate toward what gets them paid (no Alex - I am NOT saying they are coin operated!)

@ DDavis - the practice of lead scoring is to only buy the highest quality leads for my ISM's to work - they would not see scores and we (presumably) would not buy anything rated poorly...so the self fullfilling prophecy would be that the leads we bring them are all high quality!

Reactions: 1 person
Edward, I don't buy leads so I'm confused. If a lead scores poorly, you don't have to pay for it? I haven't seen that in any contracts. I also want to provide leads that close at a high percentage rate. My benchmark is over 15%. If a third party lead provider can promise that, I want to talk.

I live by the ROI report. My experience with third party lead providers is pretty consistent around 3 to 6%. The same ISMs working leads from the manufacturer, our website and display advertising averages over 15%.