• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Less is More, YES! Apparently

Jul 16, 2020
First Name
Ron
For the first time instead of changing my website monthly I let it go on a three month cycle of updating it, and WOW is the difference in leads is stunning.

My leads are up 33% Month over Month this number keeps seeming to grow.

So just some advice, STOP changing your sites so much, your hurting your customers base and ruining familiarity, trust me, you will notice a diffrence.

-A Happy (and less busy) Car salesman

I would add that dealers should also take a critical look at how often they change up their digital advertising and consider adoption a similar mindset - at least for some aspects/campaigns.

The current automotive condition that nothing lasts beyond 30 days (generally) that starts from the OEM and pushes down is often quite detrimental... not only to campaign performance (i.e: ongoing optimization and learning), but also from the consumer's perspective of things constantly being different every time they look. Not to mention how often we make decisions to determine that something is ultimately good or bad based on a few weeks of data that would never meet statistical significance!

Reactions: TheRealCarMan
You're on to something. I realized over time that over-optimization can be crippling. It's true for your website but also all advertising efforts.

Keeping changes to a minimum is not only cost-effective, but a lot of help when trying to understand what worked and what didn't.

Always relying on changing offers will put you & your business to the mercy of offers you can't control.

Solution: Build an evergreen strategy that serves as the foundation and only changes minor components to satisfy OEM requirements so everyone's happy.

Although I agree with the idea here, I would like to point out that now is the worst possible time to make conclusions based on changes made.
We are seeing leads spike massively because the pandemic is shifting / becoming the new norm and customers are going back to buying cars.
I think it's fair to say the whole market is going to be seeing interesting changes, indifferent of whether you made marketing or website changes or not.

That said, I've become a believer in the "beat control" method that we use both internally and for clients.
Every month we change 1 thing and compare to the month before. By changing that 1 thing, we can easily track it's effectiveness - sometimes it's a winner and the needle moves up, sometimes we realize that it was a bad thing and the results go down. Next month you try changing 1 more thing.
This applies to website content as much as it does the digital marketing, but with digital marketing it's even more important because there are so many factors to targeting, budgeting, network usage, imagery, etc that every change really can have a big impact.