• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

LET'S HAVE A RACE - DDC Page Speed Insights Comparison

John V.

Boss
Jan 15, 2015
Awards
First Name
John
I've got myself a 911 situation right now and need to see if any other dealers on the DDC platform can quickly run a Google PageSpeed Insights and let me know what you come up with.

Both my desktop and Mobile sites are scoring under 20!!!:banghead::banghead:

Mobile website current has a Time to Interactive of 33 seconds
1600872223125.png
I have tried moving as much 3rd party code that I could to a GTM tag and set to DOM Ready but I must admit I am a novice at this and I am sure there is more that could be done.

What I need to see is if the new platform that I moved to with DDC is the issue or if it is my own fault somehow. If you do not want to share your website URL that is fine, just tell me your score. Trying to put together as much comparative info as possible.

I've brought this up to DDC for years, so far, deaf ears only. I keep getting told to compress my images more, etc. Even when I don't customize anything, it loads up slooooow.

Lab Data
First Contentful Paint
3.1 s
Speed Index
24.3 s
Largest Contentful Paint
13.0 s
Time to Interactive
34.8 s
Total Blocking Time
6,680 ms
Cumulative Layout Shift

Reactions: John V.
Compared to September of 2019, is site traffic down? Floor traffic down?

Don't try to deflect.. ;)

MTD vs. 2019
Organic traffic down 16%
GMB Traffic down 4%
Form Conversions down 27%
Overall Site Bounce Rate up 50% (36% up from 23%)
Showroom visit sourced traffic down 19%
Sales.....Up 21% (216 vs. 179 for the site in question)
However; that is due to:....>> a better service to sales process, visits to close % is up from 41% to 52%, flooding the sales floor with reps (32 vs. 21 same time last year) and putting a required daily activity (phone, texts, videos) minimum in place in order to qualify for any bonuses which pretty much forces the sales staff to mine the CRM orphans and AutoAlert equity or else they don't get any segment bonuses, first car last car, high gross, etc.

I can only image the September we would be having if my website wasn't taking a shit

Don't try to deflect.. ;)

:rofl: I am. But it is purely from my lack of understanding as to how a car dealership website's technical speed has anything to do with a car shopper's engagement in it. This assumes the site isn't so slow it is unusable.

Sure, I can buy organic search being down if Google believes technical site speed is creating a bad user experience. BUT have you been on any dealership website lately? Irregardless of who powers the first byte, they're all equally sloooooooooow.

Hi John,

There is really not much you can do because Google is ranking the script as the main culprit on the site. It shows it takes about 14 seconds to read through. The eyeball test seems fine so please keep in mind that the Google Speed Test is primarily built for developers to help them find ways of making improvements to code, image rendering, java script, etc.

Feel free to utilize the Lighthouse Google Chrome Extension to get details on the Google Speed Test issues that are being brought up (see image below). You can also utilize "Inspect" on your Google Chrome browser and then run a Performance check this might provide some additional insight into what code is lagging on load speed.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 9.08.41 AM.png

Thanks Jeff(y)(y). What did you score if you don't mind me asking?
I think a really good experiment someone should run - or discuss on refreshfriday - should be a legit real world speed test both to the eyeball and to the insights score/lighthouse grade. Could I be missing dimes by wasting time picking up pennies and focusing on an insights score or is it actually having an effect on my Conversion % and Search engine rank?

Side note - your mobile site is running into the same issue I had with my mobile VDPs. Looks like you are missing pricing on your VDP (at least on my chrome browser/Android) or your chat tool is covering it up.....I had this same issue and had to have support make some adjustments.
Resized_Screenshot_20200925-112106_Chrome.jpeg

Reactions: craigh