• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Math Problem - If we have 361 Reviews with a 4.3 Average how many...

Dan Sayer

Refresher
Dec 4, 2009
Lincoln, NE
First Name
Dan
If you clicked on this because you saw "Math Problem" then I applaud you. I'm pretty sure I peaked mentally at 38 and all new information I take in replaces one piece of information that I probably needed...

I'm looking for an excel formula to figure how many 5-Star reviews would be needed to move a 4.3 average, from 361 reviews, up to a 4.6 average. I thought I had it figured out but it didn't work as other known volumes of existing reviews and average stars changed. I would like to just apply a formula to a sheet for all of my stores and all review sources. Input fields would contain the current number of reviews and current average stars (per review source). Result field would give the stores an idea of how many 5-Star reviews they need (per source) to bring up their score to my benchmark.

Yes, I did Google it. I didn't find anything that would fit this particular scenario. Can you assist?

Get Podium

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
New York
First Name
Joe
Hi dan. IMO, you'll never find that out because if that data was out, everyone would be gaming the ratings (like you are).

Idea: Consider a reward to get the most 5 stars in April... and let the review algos take it from there.

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
New York
First Name
Joe
Oh, and take a look around at dealer reviews your market. Almost everyone is 4 stars and higher.

#ThinkAboutIt
#ItsTheCommentsNotTheStars

Jason

Refresher
Dec 22, 2009
Detroit
First Name
Jason
Dan, I'm no rocket surgeon, but just going on the math alone it would take 271 consecutive five star reviews to go from a 4.3 to 4.6 based on the info you shared. I think. Lol. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that

Edit: Looks like @jon.berna answered as I was figuring this out. Confirmed?

Reactions: craigh and Dan Sayer

jon.berna

D.R. Truth
Nov 14, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
First Name
Jon
Here is the formula:

'current reviews' of 361 x 'current rating' of 4.3 = ' current rating sum' of 1552.3

In order to average 4.6 you need a rating sum of 1660.6

So 'desired rating sum' of 1660.6 - 'current rating sum' of 1552.3 = 108.3 then you divide that by the difference between 'desired rating average' of 4.6 and 5 = .4

108.3 / 0.4 = 270.75

Increase Test Drive Appointments!