• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New HondaTrue Used will certify vehicles up to 10 years old

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Honda unveiled a new program for pre-owned car shoppers called HondaTrue Used and offers coverage for vehicles up to 10 years old. For non-luxury carmakers, it’s the only program to date that offers CPO benefits for vehicles of that age.

• Honda now offering certified used vehicles up to 10 years old
  • HondaTrue Used expands opportunity for young, first-time buyers to purchase high-quality used Honda vehicles through a Honda dealer
  • All HondaTrue Used vehicles include a limited warranty, complimentary oil change, roadside assistance, a three-day exchange policy and more
  • Honda is No. 2 best-selling Certified Pre-Owned vehicle brand in America
Honda is expanding its award-winning Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle lineup to used vehicles up to 10 years old with the launch of HondaTrue Used. Leading an industry trend, HondaTrue Used creates even more opportunity for young, first-time buyers to experience the Honda brand through used vehicles with the peace of mind of a Honda-backed limited warranty.

HondaTrue Used customer benefits include: a 100-day/5,000-mile limited warranty, complimentary oil change, up to 12 months or 12,000 miles of emergency roadside assistance, trip-interruption expense reimbursement and concierge services, as well as a complimentary three-month trial of SiriusXM and 3-day/300 mile exchange policy.

Available exclusively at Honda dealerships, all HondaTrue Used vehicles receive a thorough background and quality check that addresses any maintenance needs, including a downloadable checklist detailing the comprehensive 112-point inspection performed by a certified Honda technician.

“HondaTrue Used is a critical new gateway to the Honda brand, especially for young and first-time buyers,” said Dan Rodriguez, Manager of Auto Remarketing at American Honda. “Customers can now shop for a high-quality certified used Honda on our website, and buy with confidence from the most knowledgeable and experienced source – a Honda dealer.”

Honda was America’s No. 2 best-selling Certified Pre-Owned vehicle brand in 2021, despite severe inventory shortages. In 2020, Honda became the first mass automaker to offer branded used vehicles from dealer inventories on its consumer website.

Link to Hondanews.com

I think this is a smart move on Honda's part. I wonder if others will follow?

Reactions: Alex Snyder
One of the neatest things I got to do in the short time at DealerTrack (prior to the Cox acquisition) was help with the diligence on purchasing Time Highway. It forced me to think deeply about the evolution of the service department from when I last worked in it (the 1990s) to today. The one thing that really stuck out was the change in vehicle reliability.

Compared to when I started driving, the number of vehicles on the side of the road needing help has dropped dramatically. Even flat tires! It used to be daily that I would see a car on the side of the interstate every mile or two. Now, it is surprising to see one on a 10-mile commute.

My own vehicle problems have dropped significantly. I used to get a flat tire at least once a year. Now we have 3 cars in the driveway and I can't remember the last time I put a spare tire on one of our cars. <knockonwood>

Reliability has moved repairs from engine and driveline to creature-comfort things like power windows and stereo knobs.

The other interesting thing in this evolution has been the shift in customer expectations. When something big broke in the car, people felt guilty and responsible. It was a big "oh shit" moment and they were more apt to work with the dealership to get it done. Now, when the Bluetooth stops working they come in screaming and bitching about how much of a hassle this "pile of junk car" is :egads:

Anyway, the TLDR word is reliability and I think Honda is smart to extend their CPO program. I assume reliability was a big part of that decision.

Reactions: craigh