• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Overcoming Objections

todd.smith

CSI Bandit
Apr 11, 2009
Awards
First Name
Todd
One thing that consistently stands in the way of all of our sales success is the objection.

When some sales people hear them they shrivel up under the pressure like a raisin. Some salespeople go on the offensive trying to justify it. Others just try to point out that there really is not a 800 LB gorilla in the room and sidestep it. Most people just stumble through them not knowing how to effectively overcome them.

I love Objections. To me objections are opportunities in disguise. So I would like to have some fun over the New Year and I need your assistance.

Please post any sales objection that you continually face when selling vehicles to Internet shoppers. An example would be "I am not driving to your dealership till you give me a price." etc

When we get enough listed here I will take the time and write each overcoming script to the objection with your input and insight to make them bullet proof.

When we are done you will not only be able to overcome any objection you face in the Internet department you will have a training manual for your team that you can use on the phone in person or even over chat.

Todd,
This is a great exercise! We took the time to write out objections, condense them down to what became 16 main objections. Then we worked to develop the 4 or 5 best responses or techniques to overcome each of them. Once we got it all written out it became a training manual with real value. We have been using this on a somewhat consistent basis for the past 2 years. The best part is all the salespeople and managers had input to the objections and solutions so it became a great team building experience along with adding more consistency to our sales process.

I will grab the list and add what we came up with.

Craig,

This will make an awesome start. I really believe if you have the right response, overcoming any consumers concerns becomes much easier. I hope this exercise will involve everyone so we can all walk away with a powerful playbook for overcoming Internet shoppers objections.

What we found in doing this exercise is objections can be condensed into a few basic categories. Price, Inventory or availability, Reputation or "why should I buy from you?" and the rest are just a stall or non-objection.....these tend to be the ones that hang salespeople up the most because they take them as deal breaking.

We had 30 people come up with their top 4 and narrowed it down to 16 basic objections.........only 16 reasons not to buy, sounds like selling cars should be easier than it is right?;)

Found them.......here's our list of objections, we created 4-6 techniques per

• You don’t have the exact vehicle I want in stock, I want to see what I’m buying before I buy it, I don’t want to pay more to locate a vehicle

• Wife/buyer/decision maker is not here to consult with

• Time constrictions: “I have to bring the kids to soccer in 4 minutesâ€

• Trade objections: “Kelley Blue Book says my trade is worth $3,000 moreâ€

• I want to shop 3 other stores, I just need your best price, I’m waiting for other price quotes

• Product Based: vehicle not available, need an AWD sedan, want a V6 manual camry

• I’m not buying today, I need to test drive other brands before I buy, need to do more research

• Stalling / Waiting: waiting for $ to come in, year end savings, tax refund, next months promotions

• Online configurator / regional build schedules issues: I want it the way I built it online

• actontoyota.com just beat our showroom price

• Price Objections: Your price is too high, I can’t afford it, I don’t have any money

• “I want to think about itâ€

• I’m paying cash, I don’t want to wait around for 45 minutes to speak to a business manager.

• F & I objections: Your APR rate is too high

• My brother’s friend works at another Toyota dealership

Craig,

Thanks for getting these posted so fast. I think some of these are good objections and I think others should be put into the category of process issues or the lack of pre-qualifying area. An example is the time restraint one. I think by letting the prospect know up front that buying a vehicle takes time and can't be accomplished in four minutes is critical during the pre-qualifying stage.

An example of a good pre-qualifying question to address this before it even comes up might be something like this:

"Mr. X, thank you for coming into Acton Toyota today. Before we get started, would be be ok if I ask you a couple of questions and also take a moment to explain to you our process of how we do business here and how it will benefit you?"

To me, the goal is to always be in control at every step during a sales interaction. By establishing control up front through questioning and letting the shopper understand the process they are about to go through, it will help reduce stress or anxiety on the shopper because you are telling them exactly what they should expect during the process. At the same time, you can also uncover any issues that will prevent the sales process from being completed. The wife is not there is another one that fall into this category.

When we fail to till the field the crop will fail. Laying down strong pre-qualifying questions will help us to overcome a lot of dark corners in our sales processes and keep us on the road to sales success.