• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sean Wolfington (BZ) resurfaces - Now with VINSolutions??

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff

What will the FUTURE be for VinSolutions?

Many in the industry know the name Sean Wolfington. He co-founded and led Cyber Car and Automark which sold to Reynolds and Reynolds in 2001.

Most know him as the guy behind BZ Results which he sold to ADP in 2006 for Millions.

To this day most still wonder exactly what ADP got out of that deal; other than pre-sold long term contracts that were about to expire and a huge amount of dissatisfied dealers. :lol:

Looking past the shiny websites - long term contracts and several plug-ins offered by others vendors (that of course were not part of the ADP buy), Sean is a marketing machine.

As of February 14, 2010 -- Sean Wolfington has agreed to serve as Chairman of the Board of VinSolutions.

Looking at Sean's past..I'm wondering what the future is for VinSolutions?

In our industry...many companies/start up usually have one thing in mind. Create and SELL.

I'm sure we could ALL name several small companies that quickly cold out to companies like ADP, DealerTrack, Dominion, Cobalt and Reynolds.

What will the FUTURE be for VinSolutions?

I smell a sale here in the next few years. And we all know what happens when some of these larger companies get a hold of a decent product or solution.

What do you think??

Maybe Matt can fill us in. You can read the full press release here. Sean Wolfington Accepts joins VinSolutions

Vinsolutions already is a company that does everything, who would they sell out to? I can't think of any one large company that would want to buy the entire package... Unless some pieces are just window dressing. I don't know anyone with a vinsolutions website for example... but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

edit: found one.. I love google! searched for "powered by vinsolutions" LOL

Last edited:
I can't think of any one large company that would want to buy the entire package...

Who, with the capital, does not have a good CRM? Who, with the capital, does not have a full-fledged inventory tool? Who, with the capital, has already plugged a smorgasbord of website hosting platforms together?

I can think of quite a few. One actually makes a lot of sense, and would give them a very complete package: Dealer Track.

Then you have to ask who might buy a company like VinSolutions just for a defensive move?

Who, with the capital, does not have a good CRM? Who, with the capital, does not have a full-fledged inventory tool? Who, with the capital, has already plugged a smorgasbord of website hosting platforms together?

• I don't have a good CRM
  • I wished my Inventory tool did more
  • I have a smorgasbord of website hosting platforms (er... sites)
  • I ain't got no capital.

Will 3 out of 4 work? ;)

Dealer Track would be a possibility. Though the rumors have always been that DealerTrack was setting up to by Cobalt. Though that's been a rumor for a few years now.

DealerTrack has been struggling with building or acquiring the right CRM. I believe they bought the "code" behind AutoNation's Compass CRM but has been unsuccessful in full launch. That's speculation only.

I had the opportunity to meet with Sean for the first time at NADA and I was very impressed with his passion and industry insights. The fact that we both like Mollydooker wine could make us brothers from different mothers!

I had the pleasure of getting to try some of that wine this week. That is GOOD stuff!

Sean has an amazing set of knowledge, insight, and passion for the industry that is very rare. He will be a very valuable new asset to our team that will help us continue to grow the company.

Thanks everyone!