• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Shadow - VDI

Baron Ringler

Hat Trick
Jul 6, 2010
First Name
Baron
We are trying to work with a company, VDI, and their product "Shadow"

What they do is add a cookie to your website that tracks customers by ip address and matches them up to a full database of customer information (name, phone, e-mail; anything that may be out in the public domain.), then generates that information to go in to your CRM, for whatever follow-up you deem necessary. The customer doesn't even have t submit a form. All they need to do is visit the website, to have their information collected. (sort of creepy, I know)

A) Has anyone worked with this company previously, and how were your results

B) What would your advice be on the messaging to people who never even sent you their information?

Don't waste your money. We have tested similar sounding IP based products and none of them worked as they are sold. If you are looking for a product that puts a name and contact info to otherwise anonymous website visitors, look into FourEyes.

I have never worked with this vendor, but I've worked with others who offer this.
I've also worked with vendors who offer this service for cell phones that walk on your lot or your competitors lot - you can target them with mobile ads and because US has no respect for your privacy, we can also ask a number of networks to give us the name associated with your phone ID, which they will.

You can effectively track visitors in the real world and on your website, but the reliability is almost always going to be under 75% just due to bad data, changing variables, etc. IP addresses are only useful for desktop visitors who have a relatively static IP, which is a very small part of your website traffic. Mobile visitors have to be tracked differently, as their network and location is constantly changing.