• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sisters/Unity Works etc.

ajholland

Boss
Nov 29, 2009
First Name
Aaron
Nearly every website I see now has some type of photo stitch/voice over video. Are these really worth the $250-500 per month we spend on them? Let me say, I am fan of them and I think they are well done and have come a long way. I see reports that they increase time on site, but do they actually help our leads or walk-ins?

If I see another Caddy CTS video telling me that it has Power Windows and Locks with cruise and air conditioning... :flame:

IMO stitch videos are a long way from pleasing shoppers. Sorry to be blunt, but stitch videos entertain decision makers more than shoppers.

Ask stitch video vendors to turn over engagement stats.
  • How many videos plays are played to the end?
  • How likely is the visitor to play the video after the 2nd play? ..the 3rd play?
  • How important is the video to the shopper? Does the shopper use the video as his goto source for shopping info?
It's all about the content. Does it REWARD the shopper and improve the shopping experience?

NOT.

Stitch Videos (aka Ken Burns effect) live or die on the quality of vehicle options data it pulls from AND the way the software works with this data.

ALL OPTIONS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. For any video (or internet merchandising) to be sucessful, the system needs to rank and prioritize the options.

MoonRoof, DVD, Nav, AWD, adaptive cruise control, 3rd row, backup sensors...

--vs--

Power Windows, Body Side Molding, Spare Tire, Intermittent Wipers...

In addition to this, the video needs to be MORE intelligent than the bullet list. The software needs to interact with the data (aka rules based results)

Examples:
  • if miles are less than 10k per year, then insert '--RARE-- LOOK AT THE LOW MILES' scene.
  • if miles are less than factory warranty max miles, then insert '--RELAX-- IT'S STILL UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY' scene.
  • if it's equipped with the "top trim" level, then insert '--WOW-- VERY WELL EQUIPPED with the ___TRIM pkg, loaded with options like..."
  • If equipped with 4cyl (vs 6cyl upgrade), then praise MPG

Again, we're trying to PLEASE THE SHOPPER.

The options ranking change with the vehicle chosen.

Minivan shopper vs convertible shopper

Minivan shopper is concerned with the #of seats and # of airbags.
Convertible shopper couldn't care less about the #of seats and # of airbags.

Convertible shopper wants to know which engine and tranny is installed
mini-van shopper couldn't care less which engine and tranny is installed

Stitch videos and Automatic Comment Generators are brother and sister. Once you've mastered one, the other is a slam dunk.

Note to vendors! Vehicle Segments DRIVE everything!!!!!

So Joe, sounds like it's more like you have an issue with the quality of current stitch videos, not necessarily the concept.

So better content equals "JP Approved" stamp?

Mornin' Brother John,

Shopping is a task. Better shopping TOOLS reward the shoppers mission. Content that does not help the shopper find the BEST pick just clutters the screen and slows the shopper down.

Here is my thought and I may be way off....

I hear that stitch videos increase time on site...well this seems obvious, I can click through pics quicker than watching a 1 minute video. There really doesn't seem to be any content that the customer can't read or look at themselves.

If this were a real walkaround done homemade, then I think it would be effective.

It just seems that when these came out a few years back they were hot because they were so new, but I'm just not sure they are worth the investment anymore. For $300-400 per store, maybe I would rather have than money in Google clicks.

I'm with Joe. Quality of the content delivered per vehicle segment is key & needs to improve.

I'd love to develop a new solution or play with existing solutions even more, just don't have time or resources currently. We use them out of necessity to provide something - hard to work in another real video solution into our process for ~1500 vehicles.

Think about your different customer segment as well. Do older shoppers even want video? What do younger shoppers expect with regards to video on their mobile devices?

The video quality itself is decent and has progressed nicely over the years - I've never seen a report from a 3rd party provider though, so I have no data to support they help time on site.

I just had this fight with my Cars rep! I could really use $300 in a better way than to have our horrible photos stitched together with lackluster comments on their one site. Alas we were told it wasn't an option but a change to the package.

However, I do have these "videos" on my DDC site. It is because DP forgot to cancel after free trial that I still have them. I would rather have the option there, on my #1 lead generator, for the shopper to choose to view than having nothing-if we are going to have stitched videos at all. You have the choice to click through the pictures or watch the video on our VDP or to have the video start right from the SRP without going into the VDP.

DDC Video Views- in Dec. 502 started the videos, 413 watched 25%, 374 50%, 328 75%, 258 100%. Of those, 77 "100% viewed" were new cars.

One my DDC site, Aug. 11 before (ghetto) chat & Videos were added to Dec. 11 with both:
Time on site: 9:42-9:16
Visits: 5499-6114
Visitors: 3,687-3920
Page Views: 30,588-32,524
Submissions: 110-113
Sub. Rate: 2.98-2.88
Dealer Sold: 127-133
Internet sold (e-mail/chat only) has added variable of change in process (err...new dedicated guy)
25-20
That means 8.2% of overall visits resulted in a video being started and 4.2% watching it in full--to what result IDK.

I also don't know how "good" or "bad" these numbers are for a single rooftop CDJ store selling 120 cars (2011 avg), I do know the visitors/visits/views are going up (views up 54%, unique visitors up 40% since from my 1st month handling site Apr 10 to Dec 11); time on site is up 20% since Apr. 10, but has held steady since I started in ISM (March 11); submission rates are down (12% 10:11, 9% since Mar 11); overall dealer sales up (25% 10:11; 31.5% Dec. 10:11) -but internet sales weren't tracked before my time.

I'm too new to know what the expectations are year to year, but I think this counts as in improvement. I do understand the internet is more heavily used; sales are up over the board 10:11; I've not been able to add any marketing and little else, only make sure all leads were attended to and specials are changed semi regularly; and that once tracked most everything goes up.

You can use the numbers to validate as you see fit. IMO I don't really see the videos helping...but like Cars & AT, walk-ins can't be discounted--8.2/4.2% are seeing/watching. As people are starting to expect more accuracy from sites, and wanting less ability to be hounded if they don't buy, more people are walking in without submitting leads.
To Uncle Joe's point--I will also note that the pictures we have and the comments we generate are BAD (I'm working on moving the moon to change the tide on this one). I wish I could get real walkarounds and good pictures with actual comments with options listed on my VDPs--then I know our numbers would be moving!

...thanks for reading my rant from under the rock!