• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

SM Rainbows, Fairies and Unicorns

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
DR regulars know that I take an anti-social media stance. I am not against FB or SM, it's just 99.9% of us mere mortals have all we can do to execute our REVENUE GENERATING tasks (and do them with authority). Let me bring it home. Here is a classic example why I love my competitors fawning over the SM story.

Would you buy this car?
OMG, they actually took pics of this toilet! No.. I take that back, someone who dosent care took the pics because management isn't listening to staff (or shoppers).

Oh, but we can follow the CEO on and

Where there's smoke, theres fire.. $27,000 of cash ready to roll, but.. shoppers are passing on it. Which Tahoe is it? LS, LT1, LT2, LT3, or LTZ?

This Tahoe listing does NOT mention:

• 3rd row seating
  • Leather Seating
  • DVD Player
..but I see them in the pics

Other Listing errors on this Tahoe:

• It says 42k on the windshield, but the listing says it has 60k miles.
  • It mentions heated out side mirrors in 3 different spots
  • The word "Mirror" appears NINE TIMES
  • Has Rear Floor Mats (ohoh.. not good)
  • No heated seats? Leather seats should be heated (unless its a rental)
  • Does it have the Quad Buckets? (no pics of midle row)
  • It's equipped like a LT3, if so, it has a Bose audio system!
  • It has ABS, no mention of the Stabilitrac safety system?
Background:
I am not passing judgement on this dealer what so ever. The facts are they have a great reputation: http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/DeNooyer-review-19990/ My son is shopping for a 05-06 GTO and can't find one, so he's looking all over and he sent me the AutoTrader.com listing above. That sparked this post about how important it is for ALL of us to execute the basics to perfection before we ramble onto planting Social Media rainbows and fairy dust.

I'd PAY for a site wide vehicle options audit to make sure we we're not leaving money on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the second row photo, and the truck does not have heated seats (look at the door panel photo, that's where the controls would be), does not have the Bose system... Must be a rental...

The confusing part to me is 42K on the windshield, 62K in the listing and 52K on the odometer!

Work FB only AFTER you merchandise your inventory!

Take for instance this Buick CXL: Used 2007 Buick Lacrosse CXL For Sale | Virginia Beach VA

Shoppers do not understand the differences between trim levels. Where in this presentation do we highlight CXL's upgraded features (not found on cheaper Lacrosse CXs)?

CXL upgraded improvements include:

• Climate Control System
  • Dual Zone AC
  • Leather Seats
  • Driver Lumbar Seat
  • Leather Wrapped Steering wheel
  • Pass Thru Rear seat
  • Rear Parking Aid
  • Alarm System

The Lacrosse comes in the CX, CXL and CXS trim. The CXL has a $2,000 higher MSRP (vs CX). Shoppers comparing 2007 Lacrosses, land on your car, see your price and If your CXL is higher than the CX down the street, the shopper blindly just thinks they are close to the same car and they wrongly assume that your just a more expensive dealership. I call this merchandising opportunity "Trim Hierarchy". I don't do this myself and I should!! http://www.usedcarking.com/2008-Buick-Lucerne-4dr-Sedan-Automatic-CXS-P33042 There's just not enough time in the day!

Good news on the horizon?
I have been working with HomeNet to generate this "Trim Hierarchy" list automatically. IMO, It should be in the automatic comment generator that I am helping HomeNet create. Build it once, reuse it over and over and over....

In the mean time, I challenge you all to take any free time you have to really give your inventory a car by car review and HELP your shoppers make BETTER decisions with BETTER information.

Now that's Rainbows, Fairy dust and Unicorns I understand.

Last edited:
Did you see the Polk/Autotrader report on SM's influence in the buying cycle? Less than 1% reported having been influenced by a SM site (for their recent purchase). This was a Toyota study...

I must, however, object to Joe's continued use of "Rainbows, Fairies and Unicorns" as a bad thing. Rainbows, fairies and unicorns are all happy things. Who wouldn't smile at a rainbow or try to feed a unicorn? Don't they make you smile just thinking about them??;)

Last edited: