• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Media - The Magic Bullet?

Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
I just ran across this article from Search Engine Watch, "Can We Please Stop Hyping Social as the Marketing Messiah?"

The article's basic position is that businesses are to put social media back to where it belongs -for socializing and brand listening and not expect that it become "The Magic Bullet" for marketing.

What do you think, in relation to how you're using social medial at the dealership?

Do you use it for inbound lead marketing? Have you tried and failed? Succeeded?

Continuing a fixed ops relationship?

What would you do in this scenario?

You are using Twitter, your listening tool of choice today, and notice a new car customer who you mutually followed after her purchase just tweeted, "Going truck shopping with my man today! There are so many choices!"

Do you shoot a tweet back wishing her good luck? Encourage her to stop in? Do you call her?

I just ran across this article from Search Engine Watch, "Can We Please Stop Hyping Social as the Marketing Messiah?"

The article's basic position is that businesses are to put social media back to where it belongs -for socializing and brand listening and not expect that it become "The Magic Bullet" for marketing...

"Rainbows and Unicorns" ...you heard it here on DR years ago (i wasn't too popular, I got flamed for my position, but I never deviated ;-)

JD Power 2012:
The vast majority (98%) of AIUs visit manufacturer websites during their shopping process, followed by third-party websites (81%); dealer websites (73%); and social media sites (5%). AIUs rely heavily on manufacturer websites for researching specific models and utilizing build tools, while they more frequently rely on third-party sites for comparing vehicles; reading vehicle ratings and reviews; and learning about vehicle trade-in values. AIUs use dealer sites primarily for inventory and dealer-specific information, such as directions/location, hours and contact information.

Reactions: 2 people
"Rainbows and Unicorns" ...you heard it here on DR years ago (i wasn't too popular, I got flamed for my position, but I never deviated ;-)

JD Power 2012:
The vast majority (98%) of AIUs visit manufacturer websites during their shopping process, followed by third-party websites (81%); dealer websites (73%); and social media sites (5%). AIUs rely heavily on manufacturer websites for researching specific models and utilizing build tools, while they more frequently rely on third-party sites for comparing vehicles; reading vehicle ratings and reviews; and learning about vehicle trade-in values. AIUs use dealer sites primarily for inventory and dealer-specific information, such as directions/location, hours and contact information.

Flamed really? It has never been about popularity.

Only 5% for social media? When you take the review sites, which is considered social media, what's left?

It's always going to be a piece to the puzzle. I believe it's on a dealership to dealership basis to decide how big that piece is and how that piece is treated. It's not going to work the same for everyone, and it's social so it shouldn't.

So, Joe has just been in the know all this time:)! Tee hee!

I think social media should be a huge part of any dealership.

I work for a Honda dealership. Honda has a Corporate Page. They also have pages for each vehicle as well.

If you interact , "like" the pages from Honda , you will add fans/friends who have the same interest. Some fans / friends will be local to your dealership.

It doesn't take much time and the manufacturers are adding valuable content to share and be commented on.

If you are active with your page, you increase the chance of introducing you dealership.

Plus, Facebook pages tend to get a very nice placement in the Google Search engine !

My .02 cents worth.