• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Start a New Conversation: Whats are dealers average cost per lead to get a customer ?

:hello: Jeffrey and welcome to DealerRefresh.

Traditionally your question is answered in two categories: third party leads that a dealer pays for and "first" party leads that a dealer receives from his own website or a manufacturer. The latter usually does not come at a measured cost, so can we assume you want to know about the leads they're paying for?

Are you a lead provider? Prospective one? Nice bowtie :thumbup:

I am in the process researching to find more improved ways to help dealers gain more leads through different social media channels. I have build a few funnels.Thanks for the compliment :) . I was in cars sales for 5 plus years and after college took many online courses in marketing. I have a marketing company now but as of 2018 ... looking to focus on helping dealers. As of now I am in the research phase. @Alex Snyder

Cost Per Lead (CPL) is an an important metric (can be calculated via Web Traffic Attribution), but a lot of dealers are more interested in Cost Per Sale (can be calculated via Sales Attribution).

Web traffic attribution evaluates the true cost per engagement and cost per lead model (multi-touch) so you no longer need to rely on last-click attribution. Sales attribution holds vendors accountable for their performance by measuring what really matters – what’s driving sales, not just clicks. DISC = Does It Sell Cars.

However, from the look of your question you sound like you are looking for benchmark numbers, which can be tough to come by in this industry (I suppose there are averages out there).

Last edited:
I wouldn't put too much analysis on this (bunch of averages), but you can see where they are going with it. Automotive isn't listed and I wouldn't trust that $29 / lead for Retail. We are a different beast.

https://surveyanyplace.com/average-cost-per-lead-by-industry/
Average-cost-per-lead-Survey-Anyplace.png