• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tesla Trade Ins

ra6209

Full Sticker
Jan 12, 2012
Awards
First Name
Pete
What have been the experiences of dealers in taking Tesla trade ins? Given the turmoil at the company, I have fears of taking them in. They seem to have problems with backlog at the service centers for repairs, so if the trade has a problem (which is why someone would likely trade it in), how long until you can get it fixed and retail it? Also, what will it bring at auction? You don't want to insult customers, and you don't want to tell someone you will not take a trade, but the risk seems really high on owning those vehicles.

As an independent dealer in the Midwest we have a good market selling used Tesla's. The biggest risk we have is Tesla controls the used market and decides what the pricing should be with their CPO Tesla's. The market changes fast so we are watching it closely and the customer needs to be educated, sometimes for over a year. We saw a $5-10000 drop in wholesale pricing in a short time and lucky we were sold out and took advantage to this drop. The customers are very picky towards certain options and if you have a car missing a key option ( auto-pilot, tech package etc) it will be a hard sell.

Our advantage is we have an individual who is our Tesla nerd, active on Tesla groups and has a strong following because of his expertise. We retail about 3-5 used Tesla models each month and carry about 5 in stock.

Driving a Tesla is not like any other experience. The acceleration is instant and with direct power it is constant. It is like a thrill ride at an amusement park. If you get a chance to drive one do it. We love giving doubters rides or a chance to test drive and when they get back the huge smile is planted on their faces for a long time. Kids love the car and know every detail about them. Go into any middle school and talk about Teslas every kid has watched the YouTube videos.

As far as the 70 point inspection there are only about 30 parts to the car and we find we are only fixing about 3 of them. The door handles will not protrude at times about $200 to fix, we have replaced some struts and the control panel is the most expensive at about $2200. The great thing is Tesla comes directly to our dealership and can fix almost anything at our convenience. Our customers are scattered through out Nebraska and the Tesla service will travel to take care of them.

Going back to the original post there are some risks to trading for Tesla's, but look at the recent auction transactions but double check on options. The model number is important since it is the battery size, the larger the better. If it has the P it is a performance model and the D is all wheel drive which has dual motors. If it has a line under the model badge on the rear it is the Ludicrous model which is the 0-60 in 2.5 model. The S model is most plentiful, the X is the SUV and of course the 3 is the newest model.

It is a unique market but growing fast, the kids are all talking about it and if you don't listen to the news you will find out the product is unlike any other car.

"Every used Tesla vehicle has passed a 70‑point inspection and comes with either a 4‑year or 50,000 mile warranty or a 2‑year, up to 100,000 mile warranty"
https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/ms

I've seen the quality of their "inspections" on cars they just built.
I wouldn't put alot of value in their ability to spot defects - I've had 2 close friends send their deliveries back.

I used to work 2 blocks away from a Tesla store and repair center. I remember during their recent Model 3 delivery push this fall seeing brand new Model 3's damaged being unloaded! Basically the plastic paneling underneath the door was protruding - pretty serious defect and they said fuck it ship it!!! Crazy. I am interested in their vehicles though but I'll wait a couple of years.

Reactions: craigh
I used to work 2 blocks away from a Tesla store and repair center. I remember during their recent Model 3 delivery push this fall seeing brand new Model 3's damaged being unloaded! Basically the plastic paneling underneath the door was protruding - pretty serious defect and they said fuck it ship it!!! Crazy. I am interested in their vehicles though but I'll wait a couple of years.

The tech inside their cars is phenomenal. Ruined "normal" car interiors for me.
I just wish the same care and quality was put into manufacturing them.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
As an independent dealer in the Midwest we have a good market selling used Tesla's. The biggest risk we have is Tesla controls the used market and decides what the pricing should be with their CPO Tesla's. The market changes fast so we are watching it closely and the customer needs to be educated, sometimes for over a year. We saw a $5-10000 drop in wholesale pricing in a short time and lucky we were sold out and took advantage to this drop. The customers are very picky towards certain options and if you have a car missing a key option ( auto-pilot, tech package etc) it will be a hard sell.

Our advantage is we have an individual who is our Tesla nerd, active on Tesla groups and has a strong following because of his expertise. We retail about 3-5 used Tesla models each month and carry about 5 in stock.

Driving a Tesla is not like any other experience. The acceleration is instant and with direct power it is constant. It is like a thrill ride at an amusement park. If you get a chance to drive one do it. We love giving doubters rides or a chance to test drive and when they get back the huge smile is planted on their faces for a long time. Kids love the car and know every detail about them. Go into any middle school and talk about Teslas every kid has watched the YouTube videos.

As far as the 70 point inspection there are only about 30 parts to the car and we find we are only fixing about 3 of them. The door handles will not protrude at times about $200 to fix, we have replaced some struts and the control panel is the most expensive at about $2200. The great thing is Tesla comes directly to our dealership and can fix almost anything at our convenience. Our customers are scattered through out Nebraska and the Tesla service will travel to take care of them.

Going back to the original post there are some risks to trading for Tesla's, but look at the recent auction transactions but double check on options. The model number is important since it is the battery size, the larger the better. If it has the P it is a performance model and the D is all wheel drive which has dual motors. If it has a line under the model badge on the rear it is the Ludicrous model which is the 0-60 in 2.5 model. The S model is most plentiful, the X is the SUV and of course the 3 is the newest model.

It is a unique market but growing fast, the kids are all talking about it and if you don't listen to the news you will find out the product is unlike any other car.

Cool info. Thanks for sharing. How have your customers' post sale experiences been? Do they say Tesla takes care of them well?