• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Thank you, peace out, and one plug

Billfred

Boss
Oct 20, 2009
First Name
Billfred
I walked into the car business just over seven years ago, a photographer with a glorified title just as the bottom fell out of everything. It's been a fun ride with an indescribable cast of characters, but today I'm setting sail for new things in the e-commerce world.

But before I go, thank you all for the wisdom and insights on this forum and the blog. From vendors to OEMs to managers, it's a relief to know that I wasn't alone in the challenges and struggles that come with being a digital guy in this industry. And even when many of the biggest players on these forums like Alex and Jeff and Joe jumped ship from the dealer side, it was still wonderful to see the site didn't shift in tone or focus. I may or may not print out all of Uncle Joe's rules today while I still have access to the office printer. (Shhhhhh!)

And because I promised a plug in the title, here goes. Long before I started in the car business, and hopefully long after I'm gone, I've been involved with an organization called FIRST (short for For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology). Teams of kids all over the world work with mentors to build robots that do amazing things, all with the goal of getting them excited about what science and engineering can offer as a career path. It's the only sport where every single kid can turn pro, and when one of them finally cracks the self-driving electric Uber that kills the car business as we know it? You'll be glad to have them in your Rolodex. ;)

Their programs run from kindergarten (with LEGO) all the way up to high school students and engineering mentors making 120-pound robots purpose-built in six weeks* to play a different game every year. Whether it's sending salespeople to help ready them for other sponsors (and judges), loaning your been-there-30-years mechanic to mentor, getting the body shop to lay some paint on parts, letting the office staff stretch their legs by volunteering at a competition, or just adding some variety to your local sports team sponsorships, there's probably a team near you that would benefit from the help. (I have a marketing degree, and I found a way to contribute!) You can locate a team near you here.

Thank you all again, and I'll catch you on down the road.

*Canadian dealers, here's something you don't have to look at wistfully from up north--that team is from St. Catharine's, Ontario, and one of the most dominant teams anywhere.