• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Mar 17, 2011
First Name
Ryan
This is the edited version of our original webinar with Drive Motors Head of Growth Rune Hague which aired in September 2017.

Millennials differ substantially from previous generations when it comes to how they shop. This is equally as true for household items and consumer electronics as it is for cars.

Dealers, however, because of the unique complexity to shopping and buying cars, are faced with tremendous new challenges when it comes to online shopping, but they still need to adapt to accommodate this generation of shoppers.

In fact, dealers need to adapt not only to Millennials, but all modern day shoppers.

Talking points include:

- Who millennials are and their buying habits
- What your dealership can do to win over millennials as customers
- Digital tactics that you can implement today

People talk about millennials and their "Avacado Toast", but as a millennial who grew up during the Recession, I think we're much more price-conscious as a group than people give us credit for. When we go to a website, we look at what we want and we look at the price. If we can't quickly see a path-to-purchase (both logistically and from a budgetary standpoint) then we'll leave and check somewhere else.

People talk about millennials and their "Avacado Toast", but as a millennial who grew up during the Recession, I think we're much more price-conscious as a group than people give us credit for. When we go to a website, we look at what we want and we look at the price. If we can't quickly see a path-to-purchase (both logistically and from a budgetary standpoint) then we'll leave and check somewhere else.

I technically a millennial, but thankfully old enough to have spent my childhood outside, but always worked behind a computer. Best of both worlds.

What you said is true though. I'll transact online if the calls to action are obvious, the value is built, but finally, if I have confidence in the platform. I beta tested some software from Prodigy years ago (and they've since pivoted their product) where a consumer could transact a car off the VDP. People got about half way through the process and dumped out, as there was no consumer confidence to do input all of their personal information on a dealerships website. Shop Click Drive with GM had a similar issue.

Best thing to do with millennials is answer their questions. If they call, email or text, give them answers. We're so used to surfing the web for answers before we make a decision, so if we don't get answers, we keep looking. Train your ISM's to read the comment box in the lead, and actually give us what we want if you want a shot of doing business with us.

Reactions: Adam Schaefer