• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

They finally broke me...

Dec 30, 2013
First Name
Maxx
I have been lurking for a long time and finally decided to make an account... mainly because I just need to vent and I know you guys are nice enough to listen...

Basically, for the past 4 years I have busted my butt for my dealership. First and only place I have worked. I started slow but within a year, I was averaging 17 cars a month from a 100-120 car dealership. When the internet manager quit, they moved me over. It went from selling 3-5% of internet leads to 18% now. The internet department accounts for roughly 45% of the sales here with only 3 other people here. I'm also handling every aspect of our online presence (from website, social media, 3rd party vendors...) and they had 2 guys handling that before. I have never gotten paid much, they gave me a crappy salary with the promise that if I performed they would raise it... yeah right. Ive performed and am lucky to bring in 3k/month...I was making almost 10k as a salesperson.

Since they have moved me to the internet department, I have been working 60 hour weeks, helping and working deals at the sales desk when they get busy, coming in on my days off (on more than a few occasions, I was the only one at the desk for a full day) and volunteering for events. They even sent me to finance school so that I could help when they got busy. I've stuck around because, while I wasnt getting much for it in return, I was getting a whole lot of experience and learning a bunch of things, which I figured was good.

About a month ago, they gave a raise to the department. The problem (for me) is that it is a performance based raise. Which means that the more you produce the more you can make. That doesnt benefit me because I am running around doing 50 other things every day. I mentioned this to my general manager and he said he would work it out. A few days later, they brought me into the office and told me that a finacne position had opened and that it was mine if I wanted it. GREAT!!! I was set to move the 1st of the year.

I come in today and get called into the GMs office with the Finance Manager. They inform me that one of the GSMs friends (GSM started 2 months ago) is going to be moving to town and taking the finance spot. They half apologized and, while I was extremely mad, said it was ok and asked about a possible raise to reflect the work I have been doing. The GM said that he already gave everyone a raise and that I should just be happy with that...

I don't think I can put into words how I feel right now.... I'm on lunch now and am seriously considering not going back. I guess my time has come with this company.

Reminds me of an old song... "You don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

If you're going to look around, I were you, I'd seriously look at the Dealership reviews to get a sense of how forward thinking and engaged the management is. It maybe a far better fit for you too.

My advise is that you stand up for what you feel is right, but speak numbers - if you are truly the reason for increased revenue and profit you need to pitch it that way and not a "feel sorry for me" theme. You have to get them to see your value and what the risk factor is if your were to leave. FYI - same pitch to the new dealer if needed. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 person
One of the good things about the car business is that when you're good at it, you always have a job. The grass is not always greener elsewhere, but sometimes it is :)

Start shopping yourself! Give yourself some options -- at least give yourself some negotiating leverage. If I learned one thing spending over 15 years in a dealership -- NO ONE is going to GIVE you anything; you must make it happen yourself. Like Uncle Joe said -- you don't know what you've got until it's gone -- same for management. If the threat of you leaving is actually real, then your employers may see your value. Most likely they won't -- because this is the car business, but you may seem more valuable to a new dealer when you discuss the numbers in your original post.

Good luck! And Happy New Year!

I broke in June.

During my 5 years with Heritage Honda in Baltimore I was called a two faced mf by a fellow employee, I was yelled and screamed at by a sales manager on a regular basis. I had one manager flip out when I mentioned that one of his internet templates had a misspelled word. I had more friends come in to buy a car, but left because the sales manager would basically blow them out.

The stress level was high and happy I got fired.

You were making ten grand selling? Tell them you want to go back to that. There is only one reason to be in the car business and that is for the money. Take the position that pays you the best with the least drama. Shop yourself but make the cake while you are doing it.
Understand that self interest fuels the car business and put yourself first. To this store, you are as dispensable as toilet paper.

One thing I learned a long time ago in the car bizz, your job is defined by your pay plan, if you are not getting paid to do all those extra things then stop doing them and do what you get paid to do. When they come asking why you are not doing them advise them why. I used to be the same way and had to stop also.

Reactions: 5 people