1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

True Car Story From Years Ago

Discussion in 'Off Topic & Everything Else' started by ddavis, Feb 8, 2014.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. ddavis

ddavis
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Doug
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Retired
    One of the funniest people I ever knew was a salesperson that worked for me in southern Louisiana. Ralph Begnaud left the car business to do stand-up comedy. I believe he still has a book on Amazon and there are some videos on the net. This is going to be a little long and there is use of single profane word at the end. If this offends you, please don't read on but it is crucial to the story.

We were at a Nissan store and the Sentra had just come out. We advertised the base Sentra for like $4995. This was the most spartan vehicle you have ever seen. It came with vinyl seats, rubber floor coverings, no radio, no air, no wheel covers, a 4 speed manual transmission and a rubber stopper on the fender where you install the antennae. It only came in white, brown and butter yellow.

Ralph caught an old Cajun fellow that was looking at the ad Sentra. After seeing a walk-around, the customer explained,

"I want dat car with the automatic transmission".

Ralph explained that to get an automatic, you had to move up to the E model, XE model or the SE model.

Ralph showed him an E model and explained that you can get this one with either a 5 speed transmission or an automatic but the base car comes with only a 4 speed manual transmission.

By this time, they had arrived in the showroom and Ralph pulled out a brochure. Turning to the back page, Ralph showed where the automatic transmission was an option for the E model, the XE model and the SE Model but had "N/A" for the base model.

Ralph told him, "I want you to do me a favor". "It will make perfect sense in a minute". "I want you to spell Cat like in Catahoula, the Parrish south of Lafayette". The old Cajun said, "C-A-T". "Spell dog like in the dogwood tree". He responded, D-O-G". "Now, spell fuck like in automatic" "There ain't no fuck in automatic!". That is what I've been trying to tell you.

That is a true story but it applies to more than just base Sentras.

• Like Like x 5
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner
    Expand Collapse
    Founder

First Name:
    Jeff
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh & Mercedes-Benz of Hagerstown
    Fun story Doug. The dealership showroom is the breeding ground for crazy and humorous stories.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Bill
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Haley Auto Group
    We all have enough stories like this to write a book! But who has time for that? I sure don't. I've started to write drafts of some of the crazy and funny stuff I have witnessed over the years and will be blogging them from time to time. Here is the first one that I wrote about a few weeks ago.

"The Junk In The Trunk"
    https://medium.com/p/b4e587a4a8d1

• Like Like x 2