• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Very new to this

kirk spurgeon

Green Pea
Nov 10, 2009
First Name
kirk
I am a dealer searching for an effective ILM and CRM. Can anyone help a dealer with absolutely no clue where to start? I know this will sound stupid but can we start with....What's the difference between a forum and a thread? Better yet, would someone start by telling me if this message even went through?

Last edited:
Kirk,

You came to the right place. There's a ton of great information and opinions on here from E-Commerce Directors, Internet Sales Managers, and Vendors here.

Here's one thread you might check out:

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f5/where-does-dealer-coms-crm-fall-terms-quality-123.html

Some basic information that I needed when I was in your shoes a short while ago.

Edit: What would help is to know what you are to your Dealership - are you an ISM, a sales guy, the GM, owner? Any other basic information may be useful so we all know who we're talking to.

Last edited:
I am the owner of a Chevrolet dealership in Ohio. I have hired a recent Ohio State graduate to help me in developing an internet presence and he is learning quickly. I need to give him the tools to suceed but I have no idea where to begin for sure. I am with autotrader, cars.com, vAuto, Autocheck, Dealertrack, etc.
I need an ILM for him and a CRM for my sales manager. I feel like my dealership hasn't kept up with the changing business. I started as a salesperson, F and I manager, sales manager, general manager, and purchased the store in May of 2008 (great timing ).

I would get in touch with VinSolutions, Dealer.com, and iMagicLab - Heard/experienced great things about/with these companies. I personally have Dealer.com's ILM tool over here - if I was here at the start and had the choice of who to go with, I would seriously consider VinSolutions for our CRM/ILM tools.

A note: Dealer.com works for us and where we are and does an outstanding job.

I am looking at Vinsolutions, iMagiclabs, DealerOn, Autobase, and DealerSocket. But the truth is that I am only becoming more confused and frustrated.

Kirk.... could you be on the upward slop here?

confusion_chart.gif

Kirk,

I used to be a trainer for a CRM company, so I can understand your frustration. It's a lot to digest and nobody wants to make the wrong decision. Here's my advice to you:

1. Form a group of dealership personnel to help you. One manager, one sales person etc. This way they are part of the process and will have more buy in when the product is being deployed.
  2. Get more than one demo of each product and eliminate one as you continue the process.
  3. Look for ease of use. How easy is to to enter a customer? How many clicks does it take to get the information you need? How easy is it to setup action plans and alter them? Can you easily build effective e-mail templates? Do you want to interface with service. Will you use the tool for inventory? Does it integrate with your DMS? Do you want to desk deals with your CRM?
  4. Make a list of the features you like and what's important to you.
  5. Find out about training offerings since this will play a significant role in how well the product is deployed.
  6. Call the CRM's support line and see how long it takes you to get an answer.
  7. Ask your other vendors to to rate their favorite CRM vendors in order and see what they tell you.
  8. Beware of long term contracts.
  9. Keep in mind that the lowest price is not always the best solution and vice versa.
Now you mention ILM and CRM in your message. Most good CRM tools will have god ILM functionality. So I would strongly suggest you purchase a CRM if that's the direction you're headed. Last thing you want are two tools that don't communicate. Since this is your first leap at technology, I am guessing you're probably going to need to make a capital investment with Internet connected PC's. I'd make sure I have that in place before rolling out a CRM solution.

If I can be of anymore help, please let me know.

I am closer to confused than I am informed. But I think this website will help. Plus, I am sure that many of the internet gurus are entertained by an owner showing his ignorance.

Actually, I admire you a lot! The fact that you aren't going to stand by and let your dealership fail isn't ignorance. If you don't have an online presence you are invisible. Your judgement on the guy from Ohio State is off but that may be because I am a huge SEC fan :D.

I started in the internet in 1999 and learned everything the hard way. I wish I had something like this back then. If you ever need anything please don't feel stupid for asking but if you do feel free to IM me from the IM link in my sig or call me at 678-446-7603. I am not pitching you anything but a friendly conversation about what I used that worked and help you with your plan. No strings attached.

Make History!

Last edited: