• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Video Cost

Oct 6, 2016
First Name
Peter
We're currently trying to budget a videographer to do a full walk around video for our entire inventory but isn't sure how much to charge. What do you guys things would be a good ballpark? Hourly, salary, or by car and ant what pricing for each.

We currently have an in house Photographer that can do videos but not sure what direction to go as in pay. Thoughts?

If you pay per car, it may cause the quality to drop, as the person attempts to knock out as many videos as possible.

Hourly, or salary, with a bonus for X quality videos shot in a set time period may be a fair plan. I've always found if you offer some kind of goal to shoot for, that you get a little more effort. With a base income attached, you can reduce the first scenario mentioned.

Be clear on what metrics must be maintained to qualify as a quality video. Smooth camera work, intelligible voice over, if they are adding on-screen graphics, make sure they are configured & laid out properly, etc.

We're currently trying to budget a videographer to do a full walk around video for our entire inventory but isn't sure how much to charge. What do you guys things would be a good ballpark? Hourly, salary, or by car and ant what pricing for each.

We currently have an in house Photographer that can do videos but not sure what direction to go as in pay. Thoughts?

Peter,
If you and I were working together, we'd talk about how Videos are time intensive (i.e. costly), but, they have the potential to separate yourself from the competition. We'd want a video that can sell the car AND our store.

I'd ask: "I want proof that this is a good idea and I want to see where the videos going to be found". Our conversation continues "I'd like to see a prototype of the walk around video that you propose, and, proof that the shoppers like this. On your prototype videos, I'd like to how many shoppers watched to the end of the video (i.e. show me engagement stats)."

I'd use engagement stats to define success and guide content creation. An example of goal setting:
  • 50% of the audience is still watching the video at the half-way point
  • 10% of the audience is still watching the video till the end.

HTH
-Uncle Joe

Reactions: mikesayre
Peter, I would look at the overall time it would take from start to end. Are these videos going to be shot with real-time narration of the vehicle? That's extremely valuable, but hard to find someone with the knowledge/talent to pull that off. Are the videos going to be on your website, shopping sites, and/or Youtube? Very valuable, but that will take time as well.

@ChrisR & @JoePistell nailed it, do a few video walkaround prototypes, and you're learn about what it will take to accomplish. Depending on the time, complexity, it will give you an idea of pay/cost.