• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Makes For A Well Designed Dealer Website?

Tordiway

Full Sticker + Prep
Oct 26, 2009
First Name
Trace
Maybe this has already been covered recently or in some older posts but I've been looking around and haven't found it.

I'm talking about website architecture, navigation, and graphic design as it pertains to Internet new and used car sales. I'm not talking about sites that have to do double duty promoting the dealership's showroom sales in addition to Internet sales. I'm talking pure Internet sales sites.

Iit seems to me that a good dealership Internet sales website should incorporate as many of these features as possible.
- A clearly implied message on the home page that the site is an Internet-centric retail site.
- A fresh appeal to people’s curiosity; the goal is to draw them in without employing stale car dealer website graphics and slogans
- A quick and simple explanation of how the site works
- Clear, large photos of the actual products being offered - not stock photos or renderings
- Brief but specific descriptions of each vehicle’s features (does this one have sunroof, Autobahn Pkg, navigation, etc. etc.?)
- Live chat or other instant form of customer service
- A "wish list" (vehicle finder) feature.
- (Optional) Published "Internet" prices.

To start the debate I will offer a site that I, personally, think is very good. www.ecarlink.com. Note that I am in no way associated with or employed by this company. I just think Len and co. are on the front line of innovation with this site.

Anyone else have any opinions and/or know of some existing sites that they think are hitting the target?

Here are a couple of functional points that I'll add:

• Add a mobile version to the list, as a native feature. Users tend to expect information to conform to their device. Probably not a value add.
  • Syndication options: send to mobile, Tweet this, Digg it, etc.
  • Print format, designed well for printing purposes.

Maybe this has already been covered recently or in some older posts but I've been looking around and haven't found it.

I'm talking about website architecture, navigation, and graphic design as it pertains to Internet new and used car sales. I'm not talking about sites that have to do double duty promoting the dealership's showroom sales in addition to Internet sales. I'm talking pure Internet sales sites.

Tordiway, Sometimes I am as dumb as a box of rocks... You wrote:

"....I'm not talking about sites that have to do double duty promoting the dealership's showroom sales in addition to Internet sales. I'm talking pure Internet sales sites."

So I have to ask, what does this mean? In my wacked view of the world, they are one.

So I have to ask, what does this mean? In my wacked view of the world, they are one.

Wow, I forgot about this thread. I think I posted it, like, a week ago and it just now showed up?

Anyhow, Joe, in the time that has elapsed since I posed the question additional discoveries caused me to start a brief essay on the subject. That generated some comments on ADM, which then clarified what needs to be in the essay's conclusion. I plan on publishing that this Sunday or, at the latest, next Wednesday.

Long answer to a short question, sorry.

The quickie short-short answer is this: there are two distinct dealership website types.
1). Those that can sell you a car online right here right now. (True eCommerce sites).
2). Those that can't. (Everything else).

99% of car dealers websites fall into category two. As a community we seem to discuss and debate and fret and agonize and strategize and philosophise about our sites as though they fit into category one, but they don't. Our sites are simply interactive adverts. They are not eCommerce sites.

I'll expand upon this later.

. Our sites are simply interactive adverts. They are not eCommerce sites.

Tordiway,
I haven't read a word on your thoughts yet and I will when you get it all done, but I want the weed you're smokin'!!

We've ALL seen consumers race to the 'net & totally destroy industries. Travel Agencies are gone. The Brokerage Industry is a shell of it's former self. Newpapers and TV are on life support. The music industry has never been the same. Airline industry has insanely complex models to reprice seats in real time.

Some industries have been spared the Internet napalm.
Clothing. Bedding, Real Estate. Autos. Puppies.

Why?
In the search for the best deal, Consumers want interaction with the product and process... aka look/feel/touch drives the buy.

Want more proof?
Full blown E-commerce sites have been tried and failed in our industry.
See eBay.

Can it change?
Sure. It's recently happened to the Hotel/BB industry. User Reviews and became the anchor of a safe long distance decision. I just don't see it on my Auto-Industry radar.

Will it change?
No. As long as cars depreciate and the bank front loads the interest, then the tradein will always be in the way. Say what you want... Shoppers WANT THE BEST DEAL, they have to shop their trade.

I've been workin' on the net since 1994. I became 100% self employed, workin' on the net since 1995. Fully ecommerce can't happen in this industry. I rest my case.

Tordiway,
I haven't read a word on your thoughts yet and I will when you get it all done, but I want the weed you're smokin'!!.

Does that mean we are (maybe) in agreement?

For fun, what are your thoughts on these two sites?

eCarLink - World Famous Retailer of Used BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Audi, Porsche, Exotics & More in Dallas, Texas

E-CarOne Dallas Pre-Owned luxury Vehicle Dealer. Low Wholesale Prices on Off-Lease Cars, Trucks, & SUV’s, Used Car Financing & Warranties

Pure eCommerce automobile retailing? Yes? No?