• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What to do with lying customers

sryan

Desk Monkey
Aug 18, 2012
First Name
S
Every October/November (the slowest months of the year for us) I get a slue of lies from customers every day. I set appointments for them that they say they are going to be at, confirm the appointments, then they don't show. They later email me some lame excuse, like "I was sick, or family emergency," That has literally happened 10 times this month.

The greatest one I had was someone who set an appointment at 1. emailed me let me know she was going to be late, then never showed. I emailed her the next day and she told me she bought at our competitor. The funny thing is, Im good friends with the sales manager at our competitor and that person never stepped foot in that dealership.

Take this business out of it, I know I'm going to have to deal with lies, customers not caring, not showing, making up stories. What is this world coming to?

Have you tried getting a manager to confirm appointments? Just like a T.O. works well during negotiations an appointment confirmation from "the person who is going to work the numbers" increases the likelihood of that appointment showing up from 50% to 80%.

Have you tried getting a manager to confirm appointments? Just like a T.O. works well during negotiations an appointment confirmation from "the person who is going to work the numbers" increases the likelihood of that appointment showing up from 50% to 80%.

I am the one who works the numbers with the customer. Some, I already have a deal worked out with them, trade evaluations, do every means neccesary to get them through the door and they just don't show up.

The most dishonest people that you meet, in a dealership, come through the front door, not the employee entrance.

agree,

I just don't understand, they lie about everything, to make themselves feel better or something. I had a guy tell me he had a 1983 corvette the other day. I said sir they didn't make a 1983 corvette. he insisted that he had the only one and it's in pristine condition. just unreal

Reactions: 1 person
agree,

I just don't understand, they lie about everything, to make themselves feel better or something. I had a guy tell me he had a 1983 corvette the other day. I said sir they didn't make a 1983 corvette. he insisted that he had the only one and it's in pristine condition. just unreal

Technically speaking there were 43 1983 models made, they just held them back and sold them as 1984s.
They were all pre-production models, but are the equivalent of what a 1983 Corvette would be.

Just FYI. He may also be lying.

Reactions: 3 people