• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's the ROI on Being Awesome?

kurbain

Rust & Dust
Jun 23, 2010
First Name
Katie
I wrote a short, to the point blog about customer service with this same title. I was hoping for a discussion about it, but I think I posted it in the wrong community to get the discussion I am looking for. But, instead of posting the same thing here - as many of you are members of both - let me just put it out there:

If someone came up to you and said - "You know what, you are great! Your service is great. Your community involvement is awesome. I think you are fantastic." What would that mean to you?

Secondly, the time and energy you put into being so great: do you measure it? Do you sit down with a calculator and figure out if the gain you get from having that reputation is worth extra minutes or hours you spend on customer service?

I am simply trying to say that Being Awesome is always worth it. The word-of-mouth gain, the repeat business, it is all worth it. Being awesome to a customer or prospect face-to-face (in the showroom or on the street) or on the phone is no different than being awesome to them in the digital landscape.

In your experience what is the ROI on Being Awesome?

Great post. I find that when you provide that "awesome" experience for a customer your ROI can be measured by repeat and referral business. When people feel like you have gone out of your way for them, made a connection, and genuinely care, then there is no question they become your biggest asset. BTW the the only investment you will have in cultivating an amazing army of repeat and referral customers is time and effort! The problem I see some places having is that they really do not genuinely care or want to establish that connection with their customers and when your not committed to providing that type of experience, its impossible to fake.

I wrote a short, to the point blog about customer service with this same title. I was hoping for a discussion about it, but I think I posted it in the wrong community to get the discussion I am looking for.

I've found that I am wasting my time on some of the other sites. Dealer Refresh is the place to be. :)

I like your comments!

"One customer, well taken care of, could be more valuable than $10,000 worth of advertising."
- Jim Rohn

What's the ROI on Being Awesome?

Answer: Priceless

Being Awesome equals retention from sales and service. When I'm training my dealers on finding the right "Why Buy From Me" message - I always emphasize on Being Awesome while getting your customers to share how awesome they thought you were on the review sites like DealerRater.

I'm not sure there is an actual calculation for being awesome but I'd like to know what some of us DealerRefresh readers do to try and be awesome every day (besides read and contribute to the DealerRefresh community) :)

What do you do to be awesome??

@Walt - most PEOPLE don't genuinely care. Our expectations for great customer service has declined. It's doesn't take much to be awesome...

Great Consistent Follow-up?
Remember your customers name?
Place yourself in your customers shoes with empathy?
Thank your customers? Not enough people apologize or say thank you anymore..

Katie,

What a great post!. Far too many folks in the business world do the minimum to make the sale and move on. This sure isn't limited to just the car business. Volumes have been written including 'Raving Fans' by Ken Blanchard and my personal favorite'Customer Satisfaction is Worthless, Customer Loyalty is Priceless: How to Make Them Love You, Keep You Coming Back, and Tell Everyone They Know' by Jeffrey H. Gitomer along with hundreds if not thousands of books.

I don't know that you can put a slide rule on the ROI of being awesome and I don't care. The feeling you get when you've gone above and beyond makes it all worth while. Thanks so much for reminding us that sometimes being awesome is it's own reward. And I fully believe that in the long run it helps you and your your business immeasurably.

You are right on something else as well: DealerRefresh is the perfect place to have a good discussion. You and I have traded posts before, not always agreeing with each other, but (I hope) always being respectful and having a good, challenging, intellectual conversation. There is a tremendous value in that open discourse.

I found the post you placed in another dealer community. I was amazed at the responses - and not in a good way. Yet another reason to vote in the Automotive Lighthouses Poll for the Dealer Community that engenders productive and open conversations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much Better! I can always count on you Dealer Refresh for a discussion. And yes, i took part in the poll right away! ;o) (As a marketer I feel it's my duty to do surveys for others).

Do any of you think that customers can tell the difference between Authentic Awesomeness and a begrudgingly sort of Awesomeness? Is it something that has to be ingrained or can it be simply a matter of training employees to follow a certain procedure?

Do any of you think that customers can tell the difference between Authentic Awesomeness and a begrudgingly sort of Awesomeness?

Yes and no. There is the Hollywood version and the DC version. With Hollywood stuff, we like it when we're lied to. We all know our politicians are lying, but we just don't like to find out about it. With our world plagued by great marketing and living in the illusion that we're actually creating our own perspectives an authentic story is rare and that much more enjoyable. The only problem is, you still have to sell it!

[Do any of you think that customers can tell the difference between Authentic Awesomeness and a begrudgingly sort of Awesomeness? Is it something that has to be ingrained or can it be simply a matter of training employees to follow a certain procedure?[/QUOTE]

The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
Jean Giraudoux (1882 - 1944)

My gut on "Authentic Awesomeness" is that it's hard to train and simply following a good process isn't awesome. It's good, but it's not awesome.

Look at Zappos - one of the undisputed kings of awesomeness. For Zappos, awesome comes from hiring the right people - not the right skill set. They can train an awesome unskilled person the right skills but they can't train an un-awesome skilled person to be awesome.

Very good look at their hiring process here: 18 Things You Can Learn From Zappos. What Other Companies Should We Be Learning From?