• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's Your Grade?

I posted this thread for some fun, but mostly to bring LOCAL SEO out of the closet.

Google is lowering its sights on improving it's local search more than we realize possible. I am not talking mobile search with GPS feedback, I am talking about IP based locating in concert with select search phrases that users EXPECT Google to generate a LOCAL RESULT.

Common Search Examples:
Chevrolet Equinox vs Chevrolet Dealers vs Chevrolet Equinox Dealers

"Chevrolet Equinox” brings back national results.
“Chevrolet Dealers” includes local map result.
“Chevrolet Equinox Dealers” brings back national results.

Oops...
Google knows that "<manufacturer> Dealers" is a search with LOCAL intent.
“Chevrolet Equinox Dealers” is clearly a local search that Google has not yet perfected.

I am sure Google considers this a failed search result and we all know that Google will get it right. IMO, look for mountains of local search improvements to be coming very soon.

Does Google Local know all about your your business? Take the test and see for yourself.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take this grader too seriously, and I don't think Joe was trying to make a big deal about it but some may think that they are in serious trouble if they don't get a score in the 90's.

Yes it can point out some tips on things to fix but for the most part, if you think you're going to get everything you need to do to fix your site in a handy little report like this then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

The best thing to do is to hire someone you trust, someone who's able to work with you while teaching you the reasons why certain changes need to be made, and overall providing a steady improvement each month.

Here's more on why you don't really need to get too concerned:

Why Website Grader is a Bad Idea

Thanks for the reminder Joe. Looks like we've come down 3 points since I last checked Hubspot. We're now a 95. Funny part is on the local listings link - it says we don't have any Google listings :lol: - we have too many in my opinion! Friggin' Google Local :banghead: