• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Where does Carguru get the inventory? What about prices with no disclaimer?

Dec 18, 2009
First Name
Mark
I have had 3 dealer groups ask me where Carguru is getting the data feed from in the last few weeks. The issue is the prices on that site do not have the dealers disclaimers on them and they are getting complaints. There is no contact number for them and emails go unanswered. One Dealer has a complaint filed on them because there was no "price after rebates" disclaimer on that site like ther is on the dealers site and Auto Trader. We verified there was no export from HomeNet, Cargigi, or Dealer.com and the Dealer only uses these services for exports. Any ideas?

I have had 3 dealer groups ask me where Carguru is getting the data feed from in the last few weeks. The issue is the prices on that site do not have the dealers disclaimers on them and they are getting complaints. There is no contact number for them and emails go unanswered. One Dealer has a complaint filed on them because there was no "price after rebates" disclaimer on that site like ther is on the dealers site and Auto Trader. We verified there was no export from HomeNet, Cargigi, or Dealer.com and the Dealer only uses these services for exports. Any ideas?

Mark, from what I gather they receive inventory from several different sources. A dealer can contact their support and have their inventory removed if they like. Though, looking at their traffic stats I would consider keeping your inventory on there. Just get it cleaned up.

I've also found that many times a dealer has at one point opted-in to have their inventory exported out to different websites but are not aware or forgot. Or considering the turn at many dealers, the person that did opt-in is no longer at the dealership. This happens all the time.

I've asked Sean from CarGurus to jump in and answer your questions. He's a great guy - someone that I have a lot of respect for. I know he will point you in the right direction.

Hi Mark,

Sorry you've been having some difficulty getting to us. To start, if you or anyone else need to get in contact with us, you can call 877-565-3653. It is on the website, but it is a little buried (not on purpose, either). You will be talking to the sales team when you call, but we never mind just solving a problem for a dealer, including if you just don't want your inventory on the site anymore. As Jeff pointed out, our traffic has been growing like crazy lately and we now service 7 Million unique shoppers a month. Plus those shoppers tend to use our site much more often than other sites, so we now have more users on the site on an average day than Cars.com, Edmunds.com, and KBB.com so it might be best to just fix the feed, rather than pulling it, but that's completely up to you, we're more than happy to service you either way.

Jeff is also correct that there are a number of partners that send us inventory, and because of that one of the things that can happen is that you export from someone like Homenet to another provider who sends us the inventory. Of the three inventory hosts you mention above (HomeNet, CarGigi, and Dealer.com) all three have an opt-in export to us, and honestly those three are some of the most detailed feeds we get, so if you want to keep the inventory up on the site, you might want to opt-in through one of those hosts. Not to say that there aren't plenty of other hosts that send us great data, but I am saying that the three that you mentioned do.

On the specifics of a pricing disclaimer, we do accept and display pricing disclaimers so I'm not sure why it would go missing. We very much want to set expectations correctly for the millions of shoppers that use our site every month, so its in our best interest to include as much data as we can about every vehicle. We do still get it wrong sometimes. It might be because of the inventory "telephone game" where you send it to one partner, who sends it on, and other times its just because something somewhere simply goes wrong. We try our best, but definitely aren't perfect.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you want to go through any specifics, and I'll do my personal best to support you. My e-mail is my first name at CarGurus.com.

- Sean

--
Sean Peoples
VP, Sales
CarGurus