• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Which CRM will have iPad support? More importantly, WHEN?

NTIV10

Peel'm off the Ceiling
Dec 23, 2009
First Name
Nick
My internet dept is full of mac users. The idea of not being tied to our company's antiquated network and computers and using an iPad 3G to access our CRM is extremely appealing. The problem is that right now our lousy CRM, not to be mentioned (hint: it starts with a d and our nickname for it rhymes with "ealersuckit") doesn't even support any browser other than Windows IE, let alone Macs and certainly not iPad or iPhone.

Is any one of these companies "with it" enough to recognize that this could be a valuable feature to add to their CRMs? The amount of time I could save as internet director if my system supported macs (right now, I have to use VMWare or Parallels and IE to even access the site), and especially my iPhone and iPad is enormous.

It stuns me how far behind the times CRM software seems to be. Granted, I've only used three systems, iMagicLab (over two years ago), Autobase (don't even get me started on that Windows 95-esque nonsense) and our current system which is apparently written by monkeys to run on antiquated browsers. Internet Explorer is losing market share by millions of users a year. Why am I still tied to Internet Explorer... or a PC?

Rant over :)

Last edited:
Don't know about any other CRM's that have Safari/Firefox support, but we are a Dealersocket user and other then a few minor things, it works fine for me in Safari. I do agree that I would like them to have full support for at least Firefox. And as far as Ipad goes, I don't know how it will handle multiple windows being open at the same time, which is how a lot of CRM's function.

I love this post Nick. I'm right there with you; however, I'm fortunate to work for a company that partners with progressive vendors, so I only have 1 absolute necessity for Windoze - the DMS.

To answer your question....When? Soon. Who? I've been sworn to secrecy. Sorry, but I promise to let you know when and who when when happens.

Don't know about any other CRM's that have Safari/Firefox support, but we are a Dealersocket user and other then a few minor things, it works fine for me in Safari. I do agree that I would like them to have full support for at least Firefox. And as far as Ipad goes, I don't know how it will handle multiple windows being open at the same time, which is how a lot of CRM's function.

You must have some sort of divine browser intervention, because I get errors constantly and can't access many features (for example, changing "sales status") in Safari.

The fact that ANY CRMs don't support FireFox, Safari, and Chrome (my preferred browser), is mind-boggling to me. Browser Statistics check that out. Firefox outranks IE by more than 10% for market share. Chrome outranks IE7. Anyone still using IE6 needs a technology bitch slap.

I love this post Nick. I'm right there with you; however, I'm fortunate to work for a company that partners with progressive vendors, so I only have 1 absolute necessity for Windoze - the DMS.

To answer your question....When? Soon. Who? I've been sworn to secrecy. Sorry, but I promise to let you know when and who when when happens.

Alex, loved your post on using a Mac in the dealership. I only have to use a PC to get on R&R. While R&R is antiquated, it does everything I need it to do (unlike our CRM) and I am fine with that. I can run it in a virtual machine just fine.

As an aside, I did a DX last year with one of your stores in VA beach (from the Baltimore Metro area). I clearly made a mistake by coming down the Western Shore. The drive back on the Eastern Shore was a delight, however. How do you guys deal with that disastrous traffic!?

Alex, loved your post on using a Mac in the dealership. I only have to use a PC to get on R&R. While R&R is antiquated, it does everything I need it to do (unlike our CRM) and I am fine with that. I can run it in a virtual machine just fine.

As an aside, I did a DX last year with one of your stores in VA beach (from the Baltimore Metro area). I clearly made a mistake by coming down the Western Shore. The drive back on the Eastern Shore was a delight, however. How do you guys deal with that disastrous traffic!?

Glad you enjoyed the article - try this one if you really want to have some Mac fun: Mac Mini as Home Entertainment Hub Photographic Expeditions of Alex Snyder

As for the "Western" shore :lol: vs. the Eastern Shore, that only applies if you're driving North of Fredericksburg, VA. We, on the other hand are a good 2.5 hours away from the beginning of the I-95 disgustingness. I dated a girl who lives in DC for a while and made that hike a few times. If you can avoid I-95 between 4:00 AM - 10:00 AM and from 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM, you're good to only hit one section of stop and go traffic....pretty pathetic way of looking at it isn't it.

Glad you enjoyed the article - try this one if you really want to have some Mac fun: Mac Mini as Home Entertainment Hub Photographic Expeditions of Alex Snyder

As for the "Western" shore :lol: vs. the Eastern Shore, that only applies if you're driving North of Fredericksburg, VA. We, on the other hand are a good 2.5 hours away from the beginning of the I-95 disgustingness. I dated a girl who lives in DC for a while and made that hike a few times. If you can avoid I-95 between 4:00 AM - 10:00 AM and from 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM, you're good to only hit one section of stop and go traffic....pretty pathetic way of looking at it isn't it.

Oh man, I am talking about VA Beach traffic. Before I was in the car business, I had to travel back and forth to VA Beach fairly frequently on business. I seem to have a knack for hitting the worst traffic ever at pretty much every part of I-64 and 264 in the Hampton/VA Beach area.

Oh man, I am talking about VA Beach traffic. Before I was in the car business, I had to travel back and forth to VA Beach fairly frequently on business. I seem to have a knack for hitting the worst traffic ever at pretty much every part of I-64 and 264 in the Hampton/VA Beach area.

You said it - you've got the knack. I don't have any issues with traffic here (knock on wood) ....only potholes.

We test our software in IE, Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome every day. Our CRM should work just fine on an iPad. I am interested to get my hands on one and test it.

I think salespeople could use Netbooks, Tablet PCs or iPads to do most of their CRM functions.

iPad might be good to just run Remote Desktop on and use it as a PC :)

You must have some sort of divine browser intervention, because I get errors constantly and can't access many features (for example, changing "sales status") in Safari.

The fact that ANY CRMs don't support FireFox, Safari, and Chrome (my preferred browser), is mind-boggling to me. Browser Statistics check that out. Firefox outranks IE by more than 10% for market share. Chrome outranks IE7. Anyone still using IE6 needs a technology bitch slap.

I agree with you. CRM's need to support multiple browsers. The above stat is great but take a look at the industry you work in. While the majority of DR's readers are tech savvy and up on the latest and greatest the auto industry is a little behind.

In regards to the iPad- How many CRM vendors do you think have, "iPad integration" on their list for development in 2010? (Matt just added it to his list) I'm not saying it's a bad thing but there are probably a couple better ideas in the suggestion box. Keep in mind, the iPad isn't even out yet. Furthermore, how many dealers are willing to fork over the $500 plus monthly service fee per person so their internet team can look cool?