• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

WordPress Guys... Server is timing out or getting an error. Any Pointers

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
Guys,

I have a shared hosting service with Godaddy. I just recently purchased a theme that would help me build a micro-site for our inventory. The problem is, when I map and load the CSV file I can only process around 50 vehicles in the file. I get an "Server Error 500" or "unable to complete request" once the 45 - 50 vehicle mark has been hit. I contacted the theme designer and they said because of all the pics. 10 - 15 pics of each car was causing the problem. Server has to fetch and resize 3 pics of each pic in the file. I could reduce the file size but I have roughly 1000 vehicles in the file. Kindof a pain.

I did up some of the settings in PHP to execute for a longer period of time along with increasing the file size it can handle but, I'm still getting an error.

Any advice on how to get this to process more vehicles???

You're headed in the right direction with your fixes.
Usually this indicates a pretty inefficient code setup. Wordpress is all basic (old, gross) PHP and when someone write an import plugin it's just going to start at 1 and endlessly work towards the last vehicle. You're likely hitting the Maximum Script Execution time, rather than the file limits since they're not actual uploads.

If it started processing properly you didn't hit the max POST size limit.
If the files are being downloaded from URLs you didn't git the max UPLOAD limit.
That typically only leaves an actual error (ie: broken image link) or a max EXECUTION TIME limit in PHP being hit.
Usually this limit is set to ~30 seconds so that's very possible.

I would recommend changing that, but changing back when you're done.
The better solution (if supported) is to break the file into 40 vehicle chunks and import piece at a time - bit of a pain for 1000 vehicles.

Alternatively, you can run the import on a separate or local installation and import the images and database manually.

Alternatively, PM me and I'll help :)

Upgrade your hosting package with godaddy, at minimum dedicated server with root access, or try another hosting company specializing in wordpress support. Hostgator is a solid choice with good prices for DIY dedicated servers.

I've done a lot over the years with wordpress, doing large data or image processing runs on a shared hosting account would never work. They just have way too many server limits, and you don't have full control to use a command line to do the heavy lifting.

You're suggesting a sledgehammer to hang a picture

Maybe, but I wouldn't run that much image processing through a shared hosting account on godaddy. I also would question the level of traffic versus speed Rick might be expecting with shared.

you can run the import on a separate or local installation and import the images and database manually
This works, but trying to automate daily might get clunky on 1000 units.

Maybe give Dealertrend a shot, I know plenty of dealers using their inventory plugin with success.

Best course of action: never use Wordpress :)
Next best: use proper plugins and a great hosting environment

That said, you can salvage what you have.
Alot of these themes are built in a "super flexible" way that makes them extra painful to work with and they've deviated so much from Wordpress that it's basically it's own Content Management System. I can help take a look if you need a hand either way - I'm sure there's an easy solution.

Reactions: mikesayre
I'm a fan of Joomla. I have a Joomla install that I've been using for about 4 years now. It's a small micro site that we used for local Credit Union members, businesses, local college employees, etc to use for additional savings on service and preowned vehicles. Visitor has to register and become a member of the site to access it. I had a inventory I-frame set up to display inventory that was provided by our CRM provider. Not really concerned with SEO as most visitors to the site are reffered via their HR dept's. A couple months back we upgraded our CRM and the Iframe is no longer offered. So... I need another solution for inventory. I've been wanting to make the transition over to wordpress simply because there's so many diff plugins available for it. Don't get me wrong, Joomla has alot. It just seems that everybody and their neighbor focuses on Wordpress these days. Especially with parallax themes. If this was DisneyLand, I would much prefer to use Joomla and a Inventory Mgmt plugin verses Wordpress.

Who is your inventory provider? There might be a better option.
I assume you're trying to do the small budget approach as well?

I'm from the "if you're going to do inventory, do it right" camp, but let's just get something online first ;)

For this store it's homenet. I would be ok if I was building for our other stores because I use Dealer Specialties with them and they have IFrames. Unfortunately, homenet doesn't offer IFrames anymore. At least that's what I was told a couple days ago. The funny thing is, I've spoken to a couple diff providers and the folks in tech support have no idea what an inventory IFrame is these days. That's DDC and Homenet. One guy ask me... "Is that a webpage???" I'm thinking.... Really?!?!? LOL.... Maybe I'm just showing my age. Brother... I laughed so freaking hard!

For this store it's homenet. I would be ok if I was building for our other stores because I use Dealer Specialties with them and they have IFrames. Unfortunately, homenet doesn't offer IFrames anymore. At least that's what I was told a couple days ago. The funny thing is, I've spoken to a couple diff providers and the folks in tech support have no idea what an inventory IFrame is these days. That's DDC and Homenet. One guy ask me... "Is that a webpage???" I'm thinking.... Really?!?!? LOL.... Maybe I'm just showing my age. Brother... I laughed so freaking hard!

Well.. I might have a solution that would work for you if you're interested. Makes inventory pages out of Homenet feeds in it's sleep, would work great as an iFrame. If that's the only problem you're having and you just need a one-off, we can make it work. You can use Joomla or any other abomination of code you choose :)