• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Our "Up" system is jacked up!!.......what do we do??

MauricioVincenzo

Full Sticker + Prep
Feb 24, 2013
First Name
Mauricio
What we did last month was call them...if we saw a red truck down the street we'd say "UP red truck!" on the hopes that they'd pull in. Now we are told to not do that and whoever is the first one to their car is going to get the up. We've already, on the first day of the month, got salespeople who are mad at other salespeople for "skating" them. I can see a problem of three people running up to a car waiting for the customer to open their door as well.......is a customer gonna like that right off the bat?? What are some suggestions to what we do?..Our Sales Manager says to use the Honor System, but some of the other salespeople say "There ain't no honor in the car business".......what the heck should we do??.......I suggested rolling dice in the morning and we take turns and the Sales Manager says he will not do that.

What we did last month was call them...if we saw a red truck down the street we'd say "UP red truck!" on the hopes that they'd pull in. Now we are told to not do that and whoever is the first one to their car is going to get the up. We've already, on the first day of the month, got salespeople who are mad at other salespeople for "skating" them. I can see a problem of three people running up to a car waiting for the customer to open their door as well.......is a customer gonna like that right off the bat?? What are some suggestions to what we do?..Our Sales Manager says to use the Honor System, but some of the other salespeople say "There ain't no honor in the car business".......what the heck should we do??.......I suggested rolling dice in the morning and we take turns and the Sales Manager says he will not do that.

A round robin system seems like less stressful for you guys, less aggressive for customers, just like a much better overall way to work for 10 hours a day.

As for theguy that says that there is no honor in the car business tell him to speak for himself. Honor is a personal choice to have or not to have. Many people chose to have honor in much worse situations than selling a car.

Reactions: 1 person
Usually, when you say "Ups System" that means the salespeople are on a list. You wait on people as your name hits the top of the list. That is where "Up" comes from. Who is "up" (on the list). It is often who arrived first and put their name on the list followed by the next person that came in and so on. You have the top guy on point and the next waiting in the wings. The salespeople that didn't get an UP on the previous day, go to the top of the list.

This rushing a car, really upsets the customers. It is totally unprofessional. I have no respect for a staff that would allow it and less for one that would encourage it. You don't need a pack of salespeople standing in front of the dealership. I would find something for them to do and they didn't usually like it.

I totally agree with Yago on the honor thing. Don't say "skater". Call it what it is "a thief". I don't care who you are and how talented you have become, you can not build a team out of a pack of thieves.

I have to agree with you 100%........but my Sales Manager doesn't wanna do a rotation. So I'm basically screwed......:cry:

I can't imagine a Sales Manager wanting salespeople charging a customer's car.

When I would see the "up of the day", I would go "Hey" and raise my hand and wave, walking past all of the salespeople, like the customer and I were old old friends. The customer would wave back not knowing me from Adam. The salesmen would be going, damn that guy knows everyone.

Looking at the map, there are Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Nissan stores close to you.

I would update my resume and join a team that "gets it".

The fact that you are taking time to learn the business from the inside out is going to make you a good hire for whichever dealership you join.

Keep up the hard work and make sure to ask questions to the Dealer Refresh crew!

Last edited:
Have your manager look at the SkyUpSystem. It's a electronic "UP" system. It really works, we don't have fights over "ups" anymore. Also no more complains from customers about bunch a sales guys standing outside in a huddle. Our owner owns 2 stores, one has 6-7 sales guys and sell about 60-80 cars and other store is pretty big it has about 40 sales guys ans sells about 420-480 cars per month. It works great at both stores.