• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

A Big Thanks

There's a big difference between marketing and sales. Marketing is like the fisherman who finds satisfaction in catching and giving it away. Sales people like to catch and eat.

I think the car business is unique enough that just being a marketing guy is not enough, you need to be on the sales floor to really understand the business. Give it a shot, the worst thing that happens is you wind up where you are now but with invaluable experience.

I think the car business is unique enough that just being a marketing guy is not enough, you need to be on the sales floor to really understand the business. Give it a shot, the worst thing that happens is you wind up where you are now but with invaluable experience.

+1. You HAVE to get on the floor sometime in your life if you're looking to move up in this business. I have met very few people who are in a managerial position at a dealership without having worked the floor.

+1. You HAVE to get on the floor sometime in your life if you're looking to move up in this business. I have met very few people who are in a managerial position at a dealership without having worked the floor.

It is really simple...

Two guys apply for an ISM position that does not take customer traffic, just generates it.

Applicant one - Never sold cars, does not like selling... has great computer and marketing skills on and off the internet.

Applicant two - Sold cars for a little while years averaging 8-12 cars a month... not an all star but can close a customer... has great computer and marketing skills on and off the internet.

David... right now you are applicant one... and you could easily be number two... I think you know which one is getting hired.

It is really simple...

Two guys apply for an ISM position that does not take customer traffic, just generates it.

Applicant one - Never sold cars, does not like selling... has great computer and marketing skills on and off the internet.

Applicant two - Sold cars for a little while years averaging 8-12 cars a month... not an all star but can close a customer... has great computer and marketing skills on and off the internet.

David... right now you are applicant one... and you could easily be number two... I think you know which one is getting hired.

Which is one reason why I probably won't be working in a dealership. If I was 20-25 years old, it would be an adventure I'd be willing to take on ... but I've learned that I need to do what makes me most happy and self-fulfilling. I've been working with sales for nearly 20 years, and it's not undiscovered territory. I respect and appreciate a good sales person, but from a lot of direct experience, it's not a role I wish to further pursue.

I'm very self-assured and self-aware in my value as an individual and team player--and were my talents lie. If I were to continue looking for a job in this industry, I realize that most dealers would rather have someone with sales more experience ... and that's OK. I think my efforts in the automotive vertical has help me define my future.

As for the sales position, I was able to refer them to a great sales person--which is doing them a bigger favor than if I stepped into the part.