• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Apple selling cars...direct to consumers?

To put a counter-balance to this thread, KPMG interviewed 200 auto execs and they're not concerned about all this crap ;-)

That's what the mobile handset makers said when Apple introduced the iPhone ;)

I think the exact quote was: "We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in."

Reactions: joe.pistell
I answered yes in the poll being optimistic that change is coming in our industry. I'm not quite as optimistic that they can get it done by 2019 though. They will face a lot of hurdles coming to market IMO. NHTSA, DOT, manufacturers lobbyists that don't want to see it happen etc.

Hi Bill! You're one of the 20 dealers in the giant survey? udaman! :dance2:

Reactions: Bill Simmons
Interesting thoughts on the subject from former GM Exec Bob Lutz in this interview this week. "“No, I don’t think so. If I were a shareholder I’d be very upset because they are currently engaged in a very high margin business. The automobile business at best is a very low margin business. And you can’t show me one company in the world that to date has made a nickel on electric cars. They are generally money losers ...”

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/21/apple-car-could-lose-big-money-former-gm-exec.html

Reactions: joe.pistell
I voted fail, but that's based on the premise of both the timeline and the fact that Apple has changed significantly in the past couple years.
As a daily user of an iPad, iPhone, AirPlay, iMac, Macbook, Airport Express, CarPlay and Apple TV I can tell you that Apple has become a "release early, release often" company on both the product and software fronts and it's being reflected across the quality of the whole ecosystem.

If they can maybe release a car that doesn't crash, lag and focus on visual effects then maybe it would work :)

I think the writing is on the wall that much of the innovation in the automotive industry is going to come from software. As the industry moves towards electric vehicles (it's inevitable) - you can see how important software is. Tesla Model S and what BMW is doing with their e-Drive I think are good examples. I think Apple's investments here have less to do with a physical car and more to do with software, though.

If Apple ever got in to the Automotive space my prediction is that they will only be self driving vehicles. Even more, self driving vehicles that you summon like uber. I don't see them getting into the auto business as whole.

Keep an eye on Elio http://www.eliomotors.com/ It's butt-ugly, but it just might work.

upload_2015-10-13_6-13-7.png
Elio is gunning for the commuter mindset market (simple, low cost transportation). $6,800 retail & 60MPG with Safety systems,

What's this got to do with Apple? 1st, watch an test drive of a prototype by AutoByTel:

(fwd to 2:45)

Elio makes the chassis and engine, Tier 1 Auto suppliers partner with Elio and make everything else. Elio will sell direct. This is Apple's manufacturing/sales model, so they're very comfortable with this process.

Just for fun, let's make Apple Car 100% electric, great styling, 200 miles of range and sell the base for $14,900. Copy the Harley Davidson business concept and allow your buyers to easily geek it out all at point of sale, or, after sale (Harley has more profits from add-ons than the bike).

I was at the President of Cadillac's keynote at JDP AMR last night and he was echoing the same sentiment.
It's going to be fantastic to see how each OEM decides to integrate the control, the automation, etc.

I love driving cars. Its my passion. However, I hate stop and go traffic and I can't wait until my car can do that for me.