• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are all VDP Views considered equal?

Amy - what is the conversion metric in all of your screen shots? I am under the impression that most of String's data is derived from Google Analytics, so I've been assuming conversion means simply that the visitor converted to another webpage within that website and not that the visitor converted to a lead, call, or in-store visit.

A lurker asked me whether this is "lead conversion" as "Conversion" is traditionally defined this way. I just want to answer that person appropriately.

Alex,

Important question. The conversion % we reference points to a customer taking an action. It is based on a combination of metrics, such as form submissions, click to call triggers (if dealers have that implemented), or visits to a map & directions page. If the dealer wants to exclude map page visits in the percentage they can.

But, to answer your lurker's question, these are actions that a customer has taken - form submit, call, looked for directions, vs. just visited any other page. Therefore, in all the conversion %'s shown above, you are looking at people who made it to a form submit page and/or maps and directions page. - pointing to the fact that they have given an indication of shopping intent.

The metrics you see on the right hand side, % Dealership, % Inventory % Service are portraying the "within the site" conversions you describe from GA. We aggregate the pages of the website platform and map the engagement with those pages "beyond the land" on a dealership's website.
Sidebar: At a dealer's request we have taken the conversion % a step further and implemented code that allows a dealer to take into consideration form submissions that occur outside of a their own web platform, such as lightbox windows or popups. Automark, for instance comes to mind as an integration we did to show a dealer his successes in context beyond his own website forms. Once those dealer specific integrations are in place, the conversion metric alters to include that form submit as a part of that dealer's story. Which, of course, makes the original point. Every dealer has his/her own context for success - we just feel there are better, more actionable, metrics to look at than the path to the VDP alone. So, the dealer can customize their definition of "conversion" to their own liking, but we encourage them to keep the metrics purely focused on an action that indicates an outreach from a customer.​
I like to apply a reach and frequency approach - Unique Users is the Reach and % Inventory Engagement the Frequency. Overindexing campaigns in % inventory point to engaged shoppers, whether they are submitting a form or not. So, I wouldn't throw that baby out with the bath water, just because they haven't yet given me their email or phone number.

I hope that helps and I'm happy to set up a time with our team to dig deeper, as I'm sensitive to this post becoming too focused on our software. Keep in mind, our blog helps dealers gain much of this insight through GA themselves, but it can be overwhelming. Our platform, within which these metrics play a small role compared to the grand scheme of insight, just takes GA a bit further and helps them from getting too far down in the weeds of the GA UI. The fun begins when you can get beyond GA and put things into action.

Great question & continued discussion.

I'd prefer to have the VDP views on my website.

My quick answer as it relates to content: While VDP views are the most important activity within your site, the visits themselves are not always the same. EX: "I'm ready to buy today" vs. "I'm looking to compare 2 models - to buy in a couple of months." vs. "I'm curious about a sedan, I need to do some research"

I'd be careful paying more the VDP view on my website if it lacked the secondary content to help guide customers further.

So, dealers have the opportunity to provide these added layers of content to their website to help their visitors, regardless of their buying intent.

I could be alone in feeling this way but, I look at it like this.

The VDP is argument for me kind of falls in the realm of the Post Hoc Fallacy or the Correlation Vs Causation argument.
So are VDP views equal in my opinion? Yes, they are equally worthless until an action has been taken.

Here is why,

The belief is that the more VDP's the higher actions are to be taken. However, VDP does not cause the action. It's in fact The "Call to Action" of any particular page that drives the action. So if you were to remove the Call to action from a page the argument that a VDP is going to drive Action becomes false. Its because VDPs are not the Causation of the action. We can't assume that after viewing VDP's the customer is going to take action.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened to simply post hoc fallacy. Post hoc is a particularly tempting error because temporal sequence appears to be integral to causality. The fallacy lies in coming to a conclusion based solely on the order of events, rather than taking into account other factors that might rule out the connection.

The following is a simple example:

The rooster crows immediately before sunrise, therefore the rooster causes the sun to rise.