• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are we sending to many emails?

We have been utilizing a report in our CRM tool which shows the open and click through rate for all emails we send out (campaign and within our sales processes). This is a great tool to show you which emails are not even being opened, and can help you remove a lot of the "chaff" you might be sending out. In the end, my goal is quality vs. quantity, and I prefer smaller, targeted mailouts on no more than a monthly basis...

This would be a great blog topic!! Link it to Jeff's AIDA post (is it AIDA Jeff??)

I'm in the same boat. My owner wants more emails sent and I have BAD CTRs. In the end, he'll follow my lead, so I need help from my DR bros to show me email management and email content successes.

Blog post idea? Ask peeps to email in examples of the emails along with stats and create a example based review.

Last edited:
Great info guys! Thanks for some great info and ideas.

Are we unrealistic expecting more than a 20% open rate? For example.....if we send out a service blast with coupons for service and only 20% see it, what about the other 80%? Would it make sense to direct mail those 80% to try to get better exposure?

Does anyone know if IMN can send the newsletters from the salesperson rather than the dealership?(I have email into IMN)

We have been sending 1 a month. Here are last month's stat's.

2% Bounce Rate
1.8% - Opt outs
15.0% - Opens
15.1% - Clicks

Question - What are everyone's thought of sending our newsletter to all leads that we have received? AT, Cars.com, ebay. Currently we are only sending to our sold customers.

I try to stick to one mass email to our entire database per month...

Hey on an unrelated topic... it freaked me out when I saw that ice car on your facebook page... I posted the same thing.

This would be a great blog topic!! Link it to Jeff's AIDA post (is it AIDA Jeff??)

I'm in the same boat. My owner wants more emails sent and I have BAD CTRs. In the end, he'll follow my lead, so I need help from my DR bros to show me email management and email content successes.

Blog post idea? Ask peeps to email in examples of the emails along with stats and create a example based review.

Just for your Joe! AIUA - 4 Letters That Will Sell You More Cars This Month | DealerRefresh

Attention
Interest
Urgency
Action

It's a great formula for crafty text based emails that will guarantee in increase in your response rate.

Are we unrealistic expecting more than a 20% open rate?
I don't thinks it's unrealistic while it's also a great goal to go after.

Does anyone know if IMN can send the newsletters from the salesperson rather than the dealership?(I have email into IMN)

Did you get your answer?

I've used [email protected] to help increase open rates on personal correspondence emails.

I try to stick to one mass email to our entire database per month...

I continue to go back and forth with this - I sign-up for some major (award winning for marketing) retailer sales emails and I'm getting hit once a week. Timberland and Buy.com is a great example of some strong email marketing and they hit me no less than once a week.

Email marketing also has some nice branding benefits behind it as well.

Anyone else hitting their email database more than twice a month with a sales only message?

I continue to go back and forth with this - I sign-up for some major (award winning for marketing) retailer sales emails and I'm getting hit once a week. Timberland and Buy.com is a great example of some strong email marketing and they hit me no less than once a week.

Completely different product... I get weekly (sometime more than once a week) emails from NewEgg.com, but there's a good chance I will buy things from them more than once per month. There's very little chance that one of my customers will be buying one car per month, or two cars in one month.

Anyone else hitting their email database more than twice a month with a sales only message?

No way. We only mass mail our entire database a few times a year, and only when we have something worth saying. My customers didn't sign up for weekly email blasts like you did for Timberland and I did for NewEgg. This might be an unpopular point of view on here, but I want to keep my emails to a minimum and like KevinFrye said: shoot for quality over quantity.

Green Pea here....

The dealership I work with doesn't have a email marketing type system. I think they send something every few months, but theres no "3 emails a month" type system. But what I'm getting to is what should/can I (the newbie who is considering this my own business within the dealership) do with emails? I've read in this thread about newsletters/blogs/wordpress for salesmen.

I'm Tech Savvy, I understand the power of Social Media, I have a degree in MassComm/Digital Media, so I can shoot/edit videos, make shard looking newsletters and even produce some type of blog whether personal or business related.. I don't have a customer base so I want to create good practices/habits as I am starting out.

I've tried to do a lot of research about this industry and marketing in todays market, but as far as emails I've only thought about sending emails to the leads we get. So what should I be sending and who do I send it to? Thanks Guys!

No way. We only mass mail our entire database a few times a year, and only when we have something worth saying. My customers didn't sign up for weekly email blasts like you did for Timberland and I did for NewEgg. This might be an unpopular point of view on here, but I want to keep my emails to a minimum and like KevinFrye said: shoot for quality over quantity.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I believe you can get Quality and Quantity. Prospect Email Marketing (not personal email communication) when done right is a great channel for consistent branding while sending a stream of relevant traffic to your dealers websites. If you have a re-marketing program in place, customers clicking from your email marketing to your website will continue to get messaged with your brand for the next 60-90 days.

3 Years of working with a very large dealer group and sending thousands of email marketing campaigns backed by a strong re-marketing message every month - I had seen and studied the reports enough to know it's a highly effective channel. While the market was falling and dealers were closing, our dealers continued to perform and out-perform previous years during a much stronger market. Of course not saying our email marketing deserves all the credit, but it was one of our strong performing mediums.

Email marketing shouldn't be overlooked and should be a consistent channel of online advertising. IMO