• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Automotive Industry Benchmarks and where to find them

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
Guys, I'm wondering where / what are your go to's for the most current Automotive benchmarks. I would like to get a good informative thread going so users can find / add informative benchmark data. I was recently looking for Paid Search benchmarks and I found this thread on Searchengineland.com. It has info on it from this wordstream page. I found some of it interesting.

1700587239942.png

@Alex Snyder, at one time I think I read that based on your studies, customers are contacted 4 or 5 times before the first FQR (First Quality Response) goes out. Is that still true or has it gotten any better?
Is the data still true for Sales Appointments? Of the appts set, half show and half buy?

Thoughts?

@Alex Snyder, at one time I think I read that based on your studies, customers are contacted 4 or 5 times before the first FQR (First Quality Response) goes out. Is that still true or has it gotten any better?
Is the data still true for Sales Appointments? Of the appts set, half show and half buy?

Thoughts?

Love the idea behind this thread. Before I jump into your questions, I'll add another few sources we look at often at FRIKINtech for our automated emailing:

Unfortunately, car dealers are mostly absent from these results as bulk emailing is mostly done through car-dealer-specific CRM systems. But I do like to compare our results to industries that are more receptive to consumers receiving emails from ;-)

Rick - the fundamentals of the car business remain as constant as the consumer's desire to buy a car from a PERSON they like and trust. What has slipped over the past three years is car dealer performance. Many more leads are unanswered than before, so performing like it is 2019 will be a crushing strategy for the next few months.

And yes, appointment ratios still stand. Half of confirmed appointments show and half of those buy.

Reactions: Rick Buffkin
Hey @Rick Buffkin and @Alex Snyder - Hope you and yours had a terrific Thanksgiving!

I have data that I can add to the conversation from Foureyes. This is more along the lines of "what happens once that ad converts."

We've been publishing a benchmark report for 5 years now. It is cool to see the trends from year to year, but leaning into '24, the real value may be in predicting where improvement will be critical, but that may be another thread...

Here is the most current report for aggregated data from December 2021 - November 2022, which included more than:

• 700 million dealer website visits
  • 11 million unique pieces of inventory
  • 21,500 automotive dealership websites (including group sites)

This report filters out website activity from bots, solicitors, job seekers, service customers, and other non-sales leads that dealers nationwide received.

Hope this is helpful, or at the very least, an interesting read.

For reputation benchmarks the rep index we built is a great tool. at the bottom of each column is a the average for that rep metric. What's particularly unique is that dealers can get benchmarks for any and every local market of use to them using the filtering. So if you're a Ford dealer in Michigan you can filter by the state and by brand (ford) and find the benchmarks at the bottom of this table for the filtered data. Rinse & repeat for any market or combination of filters across the US.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 11.24.25 AM.png

Reactions: Rick Buffkin