• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

AutoTrader Display Ads, Special offers and Spotlights

ddavis

Boss
Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Doug
Have you ever noticed how many Dealerships with premium and featured placements don't use the Dynamic Display ads, their spotlights or the special offers? I can't figure out if they are lazy or they don't have any confidence in the product or a combination of both. We dumped all of our remaining 2011 inventory and I can attribute each one to a spotlighted special offer. It is time consuming but you get it with the package.

I just signed up for a new package with Cars.com which I understand offers similar features. I haven't seen or used it yet.

DOUG! :hey:

For us - it's the time issue - I only have so much time and I'm the only one to do any of the AT stuff.
Also, as we have now undergone yet another change (yeah I know I haven't been around-just hiding out under the rock), I now have even less time.
I do good to go in, pick a few spotlights and reactivate OEM offers.
I've looked at doing the others, but I can't usually get specials from the front desk team in a timely fashion. Doing most AT work usually happens after hours, off the clock (yeah I have a time card), from my couch.
I'd love to have time to actually do my job: "get people from the internet in the door so we can sell more cars"-DP
I'll get there, but yes it is a waist - and now that we've also just moved to Alpha - I have more I NEED to do.

--thought I'd pipe up for the "Lazy" dealers our here (oh and it took 2 days to sneak the time to type this)
:nopity: I know

Hey Kelly. No, I haven't seen you on here lately.

When I was in Dallas, I asked my new rep to show me how to do custom offers. I had just followed my GM to another store. After she showed me one, I asked her to do another so I would grasp it. Before it was all over, we had about eight. I already knew how to do it but playing ignorant comes easy for me. After that I just modified those.

I understand what it takes to get anything from the desk. Several times a day, I walk up to the desk to watch the inactivity. When you finally surface, they seem to be under the impression that you have been updating your facebook page or playing videos. Any time you ask them to break the monotony, you get a blank stare. I've found a cattle prod or a truck antenna tends to get their attention.

I hope you are not thinking that you can do this and still have a life. You just haven't grasped the "plantation concept".

Last edited by a moderator: