• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Being human matters in dealers too

Jun 29, 2011
First Name
Dave
I was reading this article today http://www.marketingprofs.com/articles/2012/8732/why-being-human-matters-in-marketing

There was a lot that caught my attention, but last paragraph really stood out - "
Another example is Zappos.com, which places on its product pages videos of a Zappos employee talking about why he or she likes that product. It's important to note that the videos are not about the product specs. They are personal stories told by someone who genuinely likes a particular product. When Zappos launched those videos in 2009, its conversion rate reportedly increased from 6% to 30%."​

I couldn't help but think about the type of conversion a dealership could experience by implementing video on their site that humanizes the dealership

Are there are examples of dealers that have used video in a similar way? If not, is there any reason to think it wouldn't work?

Reactions: 2 people
Customer-focused personality sells, but no one wants to accept it. How long do you think you can get by shoving the same faceless ad in someones face, over and over for years and years. Those ads are still surprisingly effective to a point, but the reason I believe "face" time is more important is because consumers need someone they can relate to. It's like politics, people want a smooth-talker who puts in time at the debates, says the right things, yet they often ignore their stances/background. It's simply accepting the feelings of them being a "normal" person so they can connect.

It's all an art of manipulation..

Also one more note:

You would have a salesperson "sell" the car to the customer. They dress nice, are sharp talkers and work to build a relationship with the customer on the lot. In the opposite regard, you wouldn't throw a brochure at the customer, tell them to go look at the car themselves and expect it to sell itself.. So why would ignore this online it's very similar.. Online is no different, you show the vehicles details page, you give them a downloadable brochure, etc and there's no personality.

Customer-focused personality sells, but no one wants to accept it. How long do you think you can get by shoving the same faceless ad in someones face, over and over for years and years. Those ads are still surprisingly effective to a point, but the reason I believe "face" time is more important is because consumers need someone they can relate to. It's like politics, people want a smooth-talker who puts in time at the debates, says the right things, yet they often ignore their stances/background. It's simply accepting the feelings of them being a "normal" person so they can connect.

It's all an art of manipulation..

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head about customers needing someone they can relate to. Being a normal and articulate goes a long way. Throw in some enthusiasm and a genuine desire to help the shopper and such a salesman will probably need a personal assistant. If we can see how this possible with a salesman, I think a dealership that could convey this on their site with video of their salesman and service advisors would have a conversion ratio on a whole new level. An evolutionary leap.

Great topic,very true. I always always try to relate to the customer and find some kind ofcommon ground so that they can see I'm not really the big bad wolf, trying totake their $ (I am but that's not the point). I have my pic on every email sothey can see me - although I still get called "sir" too often - maybeI need to update it? Anyway, I customize all my emails to sound like it's metalking to you and not an auto-bot. Once I get them on the phone and get themlaughing, we're done. Be Professional but HAVE FUN! If it sounds like you are havinga great time and you love your job, that's where your customer wants to be, notsomewhere that they're feeling all stuffy and just another #. Make friends evenwith the ones you don't close because guess what, they are going to remember mewhen they're ready or when their son or daughter starts driving.

I found this video the other day, I thought it was Great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qbYNpnWBOE

This concept needs to become part of the delivery process. I am planning to do it at my stores. We are going to implement a Electronic Survey on a tablet at delivery. We plan to take photos of the customer with their old car (trade) and their new car. We hope to get the photos/videos up to review sites and Social and post them to our site. The most difficult thing will be getting all of my sales people to do this. If anyone out there has any ideas I would love to hear them!

lol, yep if you're pic is creating "sir" responses maybe an update should be considered! I don't put a pic in my emails, but I sometimes use a this link to a personal video introduction I did VW DTLA - YouTube
(somewhat stuffy so I don't like it too much) or on hot leads or even leads that don't have a phone number but I want to stand out I'll do something quick like this one Tiguan quote for Andrew - YouTube
That's a pretty cool video Clay auto did. I never seen that before and I'd have to imagine it pulls in appointments.

This concept needs to become part of the delivery process. I am planning to do it at my stores. We are going to implement a Electronic Survey on a tablet at delivery. We plan to take photos of the customer with their old car (trade) and their new car. We hope to get the photos/videos up to review sites and Social and post them to our site. The most difficult thing will be getting all of my sales people to do this. If anyone out there has any ideas I would love to hear them!

I really like the idea of doing something like that with ipads. One complaint I've always noticed on CSI is "wait time for paperwork." I was thinking that a great idea to help end this would be to put a video intro from each finance manager on them explaining their process and how they'll be double checking everything once they are done with their current customer, etc., a survey that the customer can take that instantly emails management and the finance manager so they get a better feeling for the customer waiting, pdf of accessories, etc.