• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Best dealership website you've seen?

Tom I like it. I love the background image on your current site thought, I assume you will eventually add that in?

I would to get some feedback on on our new site: Capital GMC Buick Cadillac | Canada's #1 GM Dealer | New and Certified Pre-Owned in Regina, Saskatchewan

We launched about two weeks ago, still working the bugs out.

My personal favorite is the instant search feature, it's similar to Google instant search.

Main concern so far has been loading time, the vendor has been working hard on getting it down to 1-2 seconds per page. Currently around 3 seconds.

Without going into too much detail it has some powerful search functions (beyond the instant search,) and somewhat unique core SEO features.

I would love to get some constructive feedback on dislikes.

Tom I like it. I love the background image on your current site thought, I assume you will eventually add that in?

I would to get some feedback on on our new site: Capital GMC Buick Cadillac | Canada's #1 GM Dealer | New and Certified Pre-Owned in Regina, Saskatchewan

We launched about two weeks ago, still working the bugs out.

My personal favorite is the instant search feature, it's similar to Google instant search.

Main concern so far has been loading time, the vendor has been working hard on getting it down to 1-2 seconds per page. Currently around 3 seconds.

Without going into too much detail it has some powerful search functions (beyond the instant search,) and somewhat unique core SEO features.

I would love to get some constructive feedback on dislikes.

A little overwhelming and hard to figure out what's actually going on at first. Too much moving at once and I can't concentrate on a single banner because something else is moving/rotating. You have chat flying in, two main rotating banner, a banner ad, DealerRater, and Faces of Capital all rotating around. Kind of reminds me of early 2000's design with lots of animation and lots moving around.

I agree the homepage is busy. The chat will be changing to a different one that will rest in the sidebar,
and the banners we are continuing to tweak, of the 3 I think we will make one static, one a video, and then just have one main one.

What do you think of the vehicle results and detail page?

Reactions: 1 person

I like the design itself as a shell, but I have to echo the sentiments above - way too much going on.
I saw about 4 call to actions just for chat, and one of them covered up vital information. (Droplr • Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 7.43.46 AM.png screenshot)

I like the idea of the instant search, but it was so slow for me that I couldn't tell what it was doing. Maybe leaving images out of this would help? I'm not sure what the solution is, but I could count to 2 full seconds after typing before anything moved, and that was just a blank box popping up. I also noticed that if I use it on the pre-owned inventory page, the search drop down box is at the bottom of the page and less noticeable, so again it seems like nothing happens when you type. (I also could not close it on this page, so I had to refresh the page just to continue) My last thoughts on the instant search is that you definitely need a fallback. People will type "Ford" and hit enter - make sure it goes to a results page.

I like the idea of using the manufacturer logo to replace missing photos.
I like that the footer navigation is in the sidebar, you just need to move the Sitemap a bit away from the side of the page.
I like the VDPs in general, I just feel that again there may be one too many call to actions.
I really like the department page(s).

Other than that, I clicked the "Specials" button on the footer bar and I got a dead image, a live chat prompt and a form with no reason to fill it out.

Thank you for your feedback Craigh,

I completely agree having the live chat cover the pop-up is poor from a user and coding standpoint.
Solution: We are changing to the vendors chat provider for other reasons, when this happens the chat will be smoothly built into the tool bar on the bottom of the page.

Since launch we have been having a number of issues with the instant search. Personally I think this is very unfortunately as it is the hero feature of the site. To try to answer your question about the speed, it should start showing results in under a second.
The fallback point is interesting, it does already have a view full results button,
perhaps if that button took you to the full search results page instead of just showing more results on the instant search page?

The specials button is now linked to Buick, Cadillac and GMC Specials - Capital GMC Buick Cadillac which is a vehicle results page.
Thank you for catching that.

The topic of # of calls to action on the VDP is an interesting one. We do have a lot. The pitch from the vendor is that one of the primary reaons they (and hopefully we) have such a high conversion rate is due to the number, placement, and type of calls to action. It's a little too soon to tell I think but we shall see.
Our previous site actually had a similar number of calls to action, but the buttons were the same colour as the background... so they were virtually invisible. We received the most leads from a bolded text link on our previous site. :(

Well, our site is about 85% done... Still working on some Minor tweaks and some advanced SEO and different splash pages for PPC ads to land on... I'd love to hear some feedback!

Ford Antioch, IL | Kunes Country Ford of Antioch | New & Used Car Dealer

Things look good.
Come back in a month or two and let me know if anyone uses the dropdown options for "Search Hatchbacks" etc - interesting idea for a main navigation item.

Only thing I dislike is that the site threw a "pop under" - instant turn off for me.

I've worked at quite a for a few dealerships and its all about branding in my opinion. Colours, Fonts, easy to use layout and speed... speed is very important.
Also nowadays the site absolutely has to be mobile compatible... vital that last one.