• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Bounce Rate

JillB

Full Sticker
Oct 19, 2010
First Name
Jill
Google Analytics provides days of information. Without getting overwhelmed I make a point to monitor traffic, pages viewed, time on site, and bounce rate if I don't look at anything else. I've never been able to find a benchmark bounce rate. What's good? I just got down to 15% - typically hover around 17%. This is an overall bounce rate - organic traffic, direct traffic and pay per click traffic. I was just curious if this was cause to have a beer over yet or if there's still work to do.

What's YOUR favorite analytics stat?

Our site-wide average for the past month is 29%, though we also drive a lot of traffic from Craigslist directly to the VDPs that skews that number high. (They get directly to what they want without having to do pesky things like search through our vehicle listings that would make them a non-bounce.)

The only reason I like craigslist is for the great site traffic I get! Make them nose around a little for some information - they might find something else they like too, and you've already got the full listing on Craigslist, right?

Our site-wide average for the past month is 29%, though we also drive a lot of traffic from Craigslist directly to the VDPs that skews that number high. (They get directly to what they want without having to do pesky things like search through our vehicle listings that would make them a non-bounce.)

Yeah CL messes with a lot of stats... you get amazing volume and a horrible closing/bounce/etc ratio...

Traditional eCommerce businesses consider a good bounce rate to be between 60-80%. Dealership websites seem to be less than 40% and are a complete anomaly for any web vendor or consultant who works outside of automotive whom I have spoken to. Our Time On Site is considerably higher on average as well. However, our conversion rates (just looking at form submissions) is much lower.

When it comes to automotive, you have to compare within automotive. This is a niche business and purchase type.

To answer your question, under 40% is the typical franchised dealership website bounce rate in the United States. If you're higher than that, ask a lot of questions why. If you're much lower than that (less than 20%) then you should take a look at your market, your site design, your goals. A low bounce rate isn't always a good thing....but it could be. A seriously low bounce rate could mean that you're not getting all the traffic you could. However, there isn't an exact science to any of this - it is an advanced formula.

That is a good point about a low bounce rate. Is there even really a formula? In my six years I've noticed a few things - our leads are decreasing a bit, sales are consistently growing, and web traffic is up. Part of it may be attributed to market size. Lansing isn't quite NYC either. I do notice when I bid on keywords just a bit out of our market the bounce rate on them typically skyrockets, so I usually pull back off. What's the industry accepted bounce rate on PPC? I get squirmish past 50% on any given word.

If you're agressive with your PPC campaigns, you should have a higher bounce rate. You typically have a higher bounce rate (and lower conversion rate) the more aggressive you are. This is a true statement of all online marketing methods. You just have to weigh the final outcome (volume and gross) as to whether you're being aggressive enough. I certainly wouldn't weigh your overall performance on web stats alone. There really isn't a magic number, and these numbers can fluctuate.

And since we're in sales I'll assume that aggressive is what we're all about ;)

If you're agressive with your PPC campaigns, you should have a higher bounce rate. You typically have a higher bounce rate (and lower conversion rate) the more aggressive you are. This is a true statement of all online marketing methods. You just have to weigh the final outcome (volume and gross) as to whether you're being aggressive enough. I certainly wouldn't weigh your overall performance on web stats alone. There really isn't a magic number, and these numbers can fluctuate.

And since we're in sales I'll assume that aggressive is what we're all about ;)

Welllll does wanting to be more aggressive in PPC count? I've got a pretty small budget so I'm careful with the dollars. I think the dealer is finally becoming convinced that TV isn't cutting it anymore. Maybe I can snag a few of those dollars my way.