#RefreshFriday Break down Walled Gardens & Data Silos in the car business | Ryan and David of FourEyes

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJYiOZyO4K8

Walled Gardens and Data Silos are not just annoying; they're holding us all back. Limiting data capabilities for one vendor's profit is one of the most disgusting practices in our industry.

RefreshFriday is hosting FourEyes' David Steinberg and [U]@ryan.leslie[/U] to help dealers understand the breadth of this issue by exploring 5 steps:
  1. Get Informed
  2. Conduct a Self Assessment
  3. Connect with Others
  4. Make some Noise
  5. Access your Data

This is a major issue in the car business, and we expect it to get worse as so many companies are turning the dealer's data into a profit source to exploit money from other companies. This cycle adds up to increased costs to dealers from all their vendors and less innovation for it. This practice should evoke a full-on F-BOMB as your initial reaction.

Join us LIVE on Facebook, LinkedIn, or YouTube Friday at 1PM
Facebook
LinkedIn
YouTube

Reactions: ryan.leslie
Great RF. I have actually thought about Foureyes a few times over the last year or so since a lot of the privacy laws have changed. I remember them being able to provide some access to info that I wondered if they were still allowed to provide. We used them in the past, but I think as a lower volume dealer there just wasn't enough juice to squeeze out.

The conversation also made me remember a product that we used through VinSolutions that allowed us to see user activity on various Cox Automotive pages (AutoTrader, KBB, Dealer.com sites, etc.). I wonder if they are still allowed to do that. Can any VinSolutions users speak to that? Seems to me that rather than upselling that to dealers the 3rd party sites could reel back in some of the anti-3rd party folks. It was discussed briefly in this session about how an engaged dealer could really help an online guest (lead) better if we knew some of the details of their search (i.e. that they searched for a sunroof, looked up towing, filtered via payment, etc.).

Listening to David's passion and ability to speak eloquently on the data subject inspired me to at least take another look at them again to see what all they are up to. I set up a demo with them.

Random question: Have we ever thought about allowing DR users to schedule mass demos with speakers from vendors that present after a RF? Obviously everyone's needs are different, but being able to see the basics in a similar setting (being able to comment, speak, etc.) as RFs format might be fun. I recently had the privilege of doing a demo with the owner of a vendor who I know probably isn't usually in on the demos because of the access that DR provides. It made the whole thing more enjoyable, progressive, and engageable.

Glad that I did this demo with FourEyes. It looks like they have made some enhancements since I first used them (again, important to note that the first experience was good too), but, more importantly, I found out that FourEyes is offering a no-obligation, 60-day free trial for their product. If anyone has any questions about the demo (outside of pricing information) and what they offer but don't want to sit through a demo, feel free to DM me.

On behalf of the team, just a quick note of thanks for the kind words @BillKVMotorCo.

If there is anything at all that I can do for you, just reach out.

PS. If you've driven by Truman's football field in late July and heard a Marching Band, I might know a little something about that ;)
I'll be damned. Small world. Ha.

• Hilarious
Random question: Have we ever thought about allowing DR users to schedule mass demos with speakers from vendors that present after a RF? Obviously everyone's needs are different, but being able to see the basics in a similar setting (being able to comment, speak, etc.) as RFs format might be fun. I recently had the privilege of doing a demo with the owner of a vendor who I know probably isn't usually in on the demos because of the access that DR provides. It made the whole thing more enjoyable, progressive, and engageable.

We actually did this several years ago with decent success. We will discuss more for the future.

Reactions: BillKVMotorCo