• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Chat on your Mobile Website - ANNOYING or Useful?

Apr 29, 2011
Awards
First Name
Chris
I've been doing some research lately and I'm getting annoyed at the amount of popups and live chat widgets installed on mobile websites. I'm just trying to see some cars!

I wanted to see what the DR community thought about the feature and it's usefulness? Is it really worth the abandonment from users? Feels like something sold to dealers and everyone else has to deal with the pain of it. Appreciate your thoughts and feedback...

Reactions: Alexander Lau
@Chris Cachor , we've had similar discussions about chat and when does it become too much to where it's annoying BUT the discussions have revolved around the desktop view, not so much the MOBILE view of a dealer's website.

We need to be even MORE cautious with chat widgets when it comes to our mobile websites. The consumers patients are thinner when browsing mobile and when having to deal with pop-ups, chat widgets, small links/buttons, follow along widgets, basically anything that gets in your way is going to cause most shoppers to bounce.

I would encourage EVERY dealer to visit their mobile website and browse every page just as a consumer would. If something is getting in your way and preventing you from having a seamless experience, then you need to get with your website or widget provider and come up with a solution.

I would advise against ANY chat that pops up, slides down or across the page widget that gets in your way. If the widget provider doesn't have a mobile solution, then remove it from your mobile website immediately. This also applies for Text Us widgets or any widget that places a small button that follows you around from page to page. If you are going to have these on your mobile site, then be sure it's not getting in the way of a good experience.

I just took my own advice on this a few weeks ago. I've been back and forth, testing our chat on mobile. We have a solid solution but it's not really converting and if it's not converting then why have it one there until we can come up with a better solution.

I took my own advice again and just now took notice to something I hadn't before. The CarCode Text Us button that follows you around from page to page covers up the right arrow to view the next vehicle image. Granted, if you touch anywhere on the right side of the image/screen, it will load the next image. I only knew that because I knew there was an arrow there and I wanted to see what would happen when I even click within the vicinity. BUT what about the average consumer? I highly doubt they would figure it out so quick it at all.

text_us_coveringup_arrow.jpg

During my review, I also found that our "Watch Video" button isn't prompting the video to play. It also seems as if something is preventing CarStory to load on the mobile VDP while causing some issues with the taps, making for a not so good experience.

You only have so much available real-estate on your mobile sites - make every bit of it count. That doesn't mean clutter it the crap up with a bunch of widgets thinking you're going to increase conversation on your mobile site. Instead it's going to result in the opposite and your mobile page views, mobile bounce and shopping experience if going to suffer so bad you may as well not have a mobile version of your website.

I recommend removing anything from your mobile website that's getting in the way, causing slow load times and your mobile site to not render the way it should.

We also know elongated contact us forms are not converting, so why have them? Consider click to call instead.

I'm getting annoyed at the amount of popups and live chat widgets installed on mobile websites
I'm with you here, I just want to see some photos, vehicle info, and pricing.

@Jeff Kershner On these mobile widgets, a close button for the shopper solves the annoyance issue, and if the number of closes could be tracked, it would be a good indication of it's value to the shoppers.

A static header with all the contact & communication tools for the dealer might be a good clickable option too for shoppers.
upload_2016-7-14_9-49-23.png

Last edited:
No Chat:
Leads: 100
Chat Leads: 0

With Chat:
Leads: 50
Chat Leads: 50

* results may vary. If they do, make your lead buttons green because customers aren't finding them.

I've tested this and it's not even close to true. The increase in form submissions and phone calls after dropping chat was very small to the point that I couldn't determine that the increase was because of dropping chat or some other cause. Chat ideally allows a shopper to get an answer to a question without having to give up any personal info and to get that answer right away. It thus will generate more opportunities.

I've tested this and it's not even close to true. The increase in form submissions and phone calls after dropping chat was very small to the point that I couldn't determine that the increase was because of dropping chat or some other cause. Chat ideally allows a shopper to get an answer to a question without having to give up any personal info and to get that answer right away. It thus will generate more opportunities.

I agree and disagree.
Completely agree that those numbers aren't accurate - it's just a thought provoker. I feel the same way about ExitGadget and other software the pushes contact forms in customer's faces earlier in the website funnel.
That said, I have found that some Live Chat vendors just don't work. Those that base their performance on the number of conversations tend to push harder to get contact information. I'm a firm believer in chat being an option to the visitor, not something that's shoved in their face over and over again. If they feel it's easier to use chat than to use lead forms/phone calls/emails, that's perfect.

The only way to truly evaluate Live Chat is to take into consideration all forms of contact and the impact it had on them.
If Live Chat reduces leads, phone calls and page views (I've seen this many times in a small way), then dealers need to make sure they're coming out on top. Not all Live Chats are handled as well as a lead or a phone call either.

Anyways, I'm a supporter of live chat through and through, I just hate how dealers are letting it take over their entire website.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
@Chris Cachor , we've had similar discussions about chat and when does it become too much to where it's annoying BUT the discussions have revolved around the desktop view, not so much the MOBILE view of a dealer's website.

We need to be even MORE cautious with chat widgets when it comes to our mobile websites. The consumers patients are thinner when browsing mobile and when having to deal with pop-ups, chat widgets, small links/buttons, follow along widgets, basically anything that gets in your way is going to cause most shoppers to bounce.

I would encourage EVERY dealer to visit their mobile website and browse every page just as a consumer would. If something is getting in your way and preventing you from having a seamless experience, then you need to get with your website or widget provider and come up with a solution.

I would advise against ANY chat that pops up, slides down or across the page widget that gets in your way. If the widget provider doesn't have a mobile solution, then remove it from your mobile website immediately. This also applies for Text Us widgets or any widget that places a small button that follows you around from page to page. If you are going to have these on your mobile site, then be sure it's not getting in the way of a good experience.

I just took my own advice on this a few weeks ago. I've been back and forth, testing our chat on mobile. We have a solid solution but it's not really converting and if it's not converting then why have it one there until we can come up with a better solution.

I took my own advice again and just now took notice to something I hadn't before. The CarCode Text Us button that follows you around from page to page covers up the right arrow to view the next vehicle image. Granted, if you touch anywhere on the right side of the image/screen, it will load the next image. I only knew that because I knew there was an arrow there and I wanted to see what would happen when I even click within the vicinity. BUT what about the average consumer? I highly doubt they would figure it out so quick it at all.

View attachment 2977

During my review, I also found that our "Watch Video" button isn't prompting the video to play. It also seems as if something is preventing CarStory to load on the mobile VDP while causing some issues with the taps, making for a not so good experience.

You only have so much available real-estate on your mobile sites - make every bit of it count. That doesn't mean clutter it the crap up with a bunch of widgets thinking you're going to increase conversation on your mobile site. Instead it's going to result in the opposite and your mobile page views, mobile bounce and shopping experience if going to suffer so bad you may as well not have a mobile version of your website.

I recommend removing anything from your mobile website that's getting in the way, causing slow load times and your mobile site to not render the way it should.

We also know elongated contact us forms are not converting, so why have them? Consider click to call instead.
Yes, this is ABSOLUTELY, HYPER-ANNOYING and just piss-poor usability / UX. End users are like WTF is this and why is this widget eating up my screen size? It's just sheer laziness from a development perspective. No offense, to any dealer using this platform.

I've been doing some research lately and I'm getting annoyed at the amount of popups and live chat widgets installed on mobile websites. I'm just trying to see some cars!

I wanted to see what the DR community thought about the feature and it's usefulness? Is it really worth the abandonment from users? Feels like something sold to dealers and everyone else has to deal with the pain of it. Appreciate your thoughts and feedback...
Pop-ups on mobile sites or apps is absolutely the worst. It's bad enough with the crappy text / chat widgets, but when a different window or lightbox pops up and intrudes, the user experience is just shot. Yes, Google is starting to penalize for this kind of stuff. Tread lightly...