• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

ChatGPT - This is pretty awesome :)

ChatGPT is pretty insane and cool, and I can't deny the handiness of streamlining some simple, straightforward marketing copy (although I will say that the Service Email example above is too long, rigid, and overly descriptive of the services. Of course it can help you start and then you can pare it down from there and add a little more personality lol). I think there is value in automating some rote, repetitive tasks, but not using it in any capacity where relationship-building is important.

However, I will caution to be wary of using it in active customer-facing interactions. Arguably, it still has time to learn, but I don't think it's quite ready. Check out what we asked it yesterday:

"What is the difference between the 2023 Tahoe and the 2022 Tahoe?"

"The 2022 and 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe are two different model years of the same vehicle, and there may be some differences between them. However, without more specific information, it is not possible for me to accurately compare the two model years and identify any differences.

In general, it is common for automakers to make updates and changes to their vehicle models from one year to the next, in order to improve performance, safety, and features. These changes can include updates to the engine, suspension, interior and exterior design, and technology features.

If you would like more information about the specific differences between the 2022 and 2023 Tahoe, I recommend contacting a Chevrolet dealership or consulting the manufacturer's website. They should be able to provide you with more detailed information about the features and changes that have been made to the Tahoe for each model year."

This might be a strong statement, but I'm not sure it could ever be convincingly human in a customer service way. It has a massive data set that it was trained on, but could have a tough time relating to customers or interacting with them in a meaningful way.

Just my two cents!
Thats assuming that the humans currently employed in those roles are effectively relating to customers or interacting with them in meaningful ways in the first place. In situations where there's a lack of staffing, or underperforming staff in the first place, this may be a valuable tool, short and long term. AI has the capability of improving over time without the morale and pay issues of people.

75% of consumers say that customer service has worsened since the pandemic. We definitely have room to grow!.

Reactions: Iceman
I may be a bit ignorant on this still, but are these actually correct?
Specifically the second one - can you grant ChatGPT access to your social accounts or is it suggesting it will output ideas and dates that those ideas should be executed?

Most of what I see is Q&A dialogue, but I also know you can ask it to open a terminal and run programming commands, install libraries, etc.
You can create a connector (API) for ChatGPT with an application that has access to your social media account.

You can then add automation to trigger what you want to happen, when, it’s conditions etc.

There are already AI software that makes it possible, it’s matter of designing the architecture correct.

AI with automation and a great business case will change how businesses run. The possibilities are limitless

Reactions: Matt Kelley
ChatGPT is a baby, it's a got some growing to do. I setup ChatGPT to be an auto-product-sales assistant. Look at this shit...

Shopper:
"I am looking for 7 passenger vehicles, the chevrolet traverse is too expensive, what other models are available besides minivans and dodge journeys that seat 7?"

ChatGPT
"Sure thing! There are a few options for 7 passenger vehicles that aren't minivans or Dodge Journeys. Some popular models include the Honda Pilot, the Toyota Highlander, and the Ford Explorer. These vehicles typically offer a bit more style and driving dynamics than minivans, while still providing ample space for 7 passengers. Another options is the GMC Acadia, which is a sibling of the Chevrolet Traverse, but it may fit your budget better. What is your budget for the vehicle?"

Shopper:
No more than $500 a month

ChatGPT:
If you're looking for a 7 passenger vehicle that costs no more than $500 per month, your options may be more limited. You may be able to find a used or certified pre-owned vehicle that fits your budget, such as a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander from a few years ago. Another good option is to consider a crossover SUV, which are generally less expensive than full-size SUVs like the ones I mentioned earlier. Some crossovers that seat 7 people include the Kia Sorento and the Volkswagen Atlas. Also, you can consider a lease option which usually give you a lower monthly payment. What's your preference in terms of brand, drive train, and features?

Shopper:
I like all wheel drive, it snows a lot here. I like heated seats and heated steering wheel.

ChatGPT:
If you're looking for an all-wheel drive 7 passenger vehicle with heated seats and a heated steering wheel, your options will be more limited, but there are still some good options available. The Subaru Ascent, is a great choice for its all-wheel drive capabilities, and it comes standard with heated front seats and a heated steering wheel. Another option to consider is the Volkswagen Atlas, which also comes with all-wheel drive as an option, and also has heated front seats and a heated steering wheel. If you're open to a used or certified pre-owned vehicle, you may be able to find a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander with all-wheel drive and those features. What's the mileage range you're looking for?

Shopper:
less is better, i dont know what I can afford.

ChatGPT:
If you're looking for a 7 passenger vehicle with all-wheel drive, heated seats and a heated steering wheel, and low mileage, your options will be more limited, but you can still find some great options. Consider a certified pre-owned vehicle, which usually have lower mileage and have been inspected and reconditioned by the manufacturer. You can also look for a lease returns which are vehicles that have been leased and returned to the dealer at the end of the lease, and they usually have lower mileage. You can also consider a new vehicle with a good incentive or promotion. Keep in mind that the price will depend on the make, model, year, trim level and mileage of the car, but with a budget of $500 a month, you will have a wide range of options to choose from. Is there any specific brand you have in mind ?

Shopper:
no, I don't like Dodge

ChatGPT:
Got it, no problem. So, keeping in mind your budget of $500 a month, preference for all-wheel drive, heated seats and heated steering wheel, low mileage and dislike for Dodge brand, you can consider following options:

• Certified pre-owned Subaru Ascent
  • Lease returns of Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Volkswagen Atlas, and GMC Acadia.
  • New vehicles with good incentives such as Kia Sorento and Volkswagen Atlas.
All of these options should give you a good balance of space, all-wheel drive capability, and features like heated seats and a heated steering wheel. Keep in mind that availability, pricing, and other factors may vary depending on location and other factors, so you might want to check with a dealership near you for more information. Is there anything else you would like to specify before I look for some specific offers or deals for you?

Shopper:
I like that lane change blind spot warning thing

ChatGPT:
Great, that's a great safety feature to have. Lane change blind spot warning, also known as blind spot monitoring, is a system that uses sensors to detect vehicles that are in the driver's blind spot and alerts the driver with a visual or audible warning. With your preferences in mind, some options you can consider for 7 passenger vehicles with all-wheel drive, heated seats and a heated steering wheel, low mileage, lane change blind spot warning and no Dodge brand could be:

• Certified pre-owned Honda Pilot Touring or Elite
  • Lease returns of Subaru Ascent Premium or Limited
  • New vehicles with good incentives such as Volkswagen Atlas SE with Technology or SEL Premium.
Keep in mind that availability, pricing, and other factors may vary depending on location and other factors, so you might want to check with a dealership near you for more information. I can also look for specific offers or deals for you if you want me to.

Shopper:
please look for specific offers and deals

ChatGPT:
I'm sorry, as a language model, I don't have the capability to look for specific offers or deals. However, I can give you some advice on how to find the best deal on a car. Here are a few things you can do:

• Research: Before you start shopping, research the cars you're interested in, their prices, and the features they offer. This will help you compare different models and find the one that best fits your needs and budget.
  • Shop around: Visit multiple dealerships and compare prices and incentives. Also, you can check online car retailers like Carvana, CarMax and CarGurus, they also have great offers.
  • Timing is key: Car sales and incentives often change throughout the year, so timing your purchase can make a big difference in price.
  • Negotiate: Once you find the car you want, negotiate the price with the dealer. Don't be afraid to walk away if the dealer is not willing to give you the price you want.
  • Financing: If you're financing your car, compare rates from different lenders to make sure you're getting the best deal.
By following these tips, you'll be able to find a great deal on a 7 passenger vehicle with all-wheel drive, heated seats and a heated steering wheel, low mileage, lane change blind spot warning and no Dodge brand. Also, don't hesitate to check the websites of the manufacturers and look for promotions, discounts or special financing rates that they may have. Let me know if you have any other question!

Grandpa Joe :unclejoe: GPT Thoughts:
  • DeadEnds: Multiple times, in other verticals, I've seen ChatGPT go down the domain expert rabbit hole and hit the same dead end as above. That being said, as it grows and matures it'll get fed structured data in industry specific silos which will make it become an amazing tool.
  • Hybrid SuperPowers. There is no more powerful combo than a capable human, powered by AI tools like ChatGPT. This combo will allow the rep to be 10x more helpful and 10x more productive.

Grandpa Joe :unclejoe: GPT Thoughts:
  • DeadEnds: Multiple times, in other verticals, I've seen ChatGPT go down the domain expert rabbit hole and hit the same dead end as above. That being said, as it grows and matures it'll get fed structured data in industry specific silos which will make it become an amazing tool.
  • Hybrid SuperPowers. There is no more powerful combo than a capable human, powered by AI tools like ChatGPT. This combo will allow the rep to be 10x more helpful and 10x more productive.
@BillPlayford, for certain one of the smartest guys that I know, introduced me to the term "augmented intelligence." Augmented intelligence is the combination of human and artificial, it is the hybrid superpowers.

I think it is appropriate to look at a "deadend" as a great place for AI to pass the baton to a human. I like the football analogy. AI runs the playbook from the kickoff return to the redzone. A redzone offense has plenty of nuance due to the shortened field and the increase in the stakes, so the coach makes the calls.

This is still a people business; people need to be involved, the questions become when and why. Allowing AI to do the heavy lifting, repetitive tasks like tedious follow up, the low skill required tasks like confirming appts or phone numbers, the monotonous tasks like the chasing of leads from sources like ICO that show a diminishing return on efforts and rarely get our best and most consistent effort, chasing declined services and next service appointments in fixed, etc., all of those tasks are perfect for an AI assistant that doesn't get emotional or take a no personally, doesn't have a bad day, doesn't need a day off, doesn't prejudge a lead... Deploying AI to do those tasks where AI outperforms the human then frees up the human to do the tasks where a human touch is necessary.

You are absolutely correct Joe, our people are more productive and more efficient with an AI assistant with domain specific NLP training. The data is compelling. I'd be happy to share a few of the case studies we've collected if that is of interest.

Full disclosure... Impel offers these services today. Last week we received a capital investment of $104M to continue to build and iterate on our current technology. My opinion, but the "early adopter" wave is already beginning to crest. Real conversational AI will be mainstream in our business, and soon.

Reactions: craigh
I think it is appropriate to look at a "deadend" as a great place for AI to pass the baton to a human.

Ryan, from my POV, The human handoff at the deadend is a workaround, the shopper still cant find answers and the sales rep most likely has to invest time to find answers.

Believe this, that AI's DeadEnd in auto is TOAST. Everyone that OWNS the this structured data (that AI needs) will be putting up moats and charging high fees for access.

Last edited:
ChatGPT is pretty insane and cool, and I can't deny the handiness of streamlining some simple, straightforward marketing copy (although I will say that the Service Email example above is too long, rigid, and overly descriptive of the services. Of course it can help you start and then you can pare it down from there and add a little more personality lol). I think there is value in automating some rote, repetitive tasks, but not using it in any capacity where relationship-building is important.

However, I will caution to be wary of using it in active customer-facing interactions. Arguably, it still has time to learn, but I don't think it's quite ready. Check out what we asked it yesterday:

"What is the difference between the 2023 Tahoe and the 2022 Tahoe?"

"The 2022 and 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe are two different model years of the same vehicle, and there may be some differences between them. However, without more specific information, it is not possible for me to accurately compare the two model years and identify any differences.

In general, it is common for automakers to make updates and changes to their vehicle models from one year to the next, in order to improve performance, safety, and features. These changes can include updates to the engine, suspension, interior and exterior design, and technology features.

If you would like more information about the specific differences between the 2022 and 2023 Tahoe, I recommend contacting a Chevrolet dealership or consulting the manufacturer's website. They should be able to provide you with more detailed information about the features and changes that have been made to the Tahoe for each model year."

This might be a strong statement, but I'm not sure it could ever be convincingly human in a customer service way. It has a massive data set that it was trained on, but could have a tough time relating to customers or interacting with them in a meaningful way.

Just my two cents!
ChatGPT tells you right up front that it doesn't have any info later than 2021.