• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cool Adwords Script for Quality Score Tracking!!!

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
I've been searching around for the past few days looking to automate and dynamically build an adwords campaign that will build vehicle campaigns and link them our sites VDP's using a combo of Adword Scripts, Google Sheets and Google Apps Scripts.

Anyways, Doing quite a bit of research on Adwords Scripts, I came across an Adwords Script earlier today online that is pretty handy for me and I thought maybe some of you guys may like it as well. I incorporated it into our Adwords account for a store and it works seamless so far. I just implemented it today and the data so far is great.

It's a script that pulls all your Quality Scores and builds out a nice dashboard in Google Sheets with graphs and data. It's completely automated and it runs each day. This is a great way to simply track all your campaigns QS's. Anyways, I felt I would share it with you guys. Even if you have a vendor managing your adwords account, you can still place this in the scripts and it will push the QS data into your Google Docs account or the Google account you use to access the Adwords account with.

I attached a txt file to this post with the script.

Instructions for Setup
In AdWords, navigate to Bulk operations and then Scripts. Click +Script. Paste in the script. Name it “Quality Score Tracker v3.0”. Click Save and then Authorize now.
Go back to Scripts and find the Quality Score Tracker at the top of the list. Click +Create Schedule. As frequency select “Daily”, along with a time of your convenience. Recommendation: 1:00 am. Click Save.

Click Run, then scroll down to see the script running under Logs. With big accounts, this can take a while, otherwise it could be done in 15 seconds. Click Logs on the right hand side. In the next screen, click on the Logs button on top. Now the URL’s for the dashboard and the Google Drive folder are displayed. As an alternative, you can find everything in your Google Drive.

Here's a link to the website I found the script on.

Attachments

• AdwordsQSTracker.txt
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
I've been using an AdWords script that tracks and graphs Quality Scores since 2013. It works like your script, but with a few modifications: It graphs the Quality Score on 3 levels: Account, Campaign, and AdGroup (AdWords already tracks QS at the keyword level so that's not needed in my script).

It's a very helpful tool IMO and I make sure to hook all of my clients up with it. I think of it as my account management GPS, it tells me if the changes I've made are helping the account move in the right direction.

Here's a screen shot of the account level graph in action:
qWOddYP.png

I also have the script output separated by tabs for easy navigation:
TPK5ePG.png

Very useful tool that I use for my dealers. Would recommend.

Reactions: Rick Buffkin
One thing I need to mention about Quality Score is that it's calculated on 9 different factors, so if you make changes to an account and see a dip in QS it's not always a bad sign. Those 9 factors are:
  1. Past CTR of a keyword
  2. Overall CTR of entire account
  3. Display URL's past CTR
  4. QS of landing page
  5. Keyword + ad text relevance
  6. Geographic performance
  7. An ad's historical performance on a particular site (Display only)
  8. Performance by targeted device
  9. Keyword + search query relevance

@mwpistell, Thanks so much for sharing. I have some pretty good data on my spread sheets only after a few days of the script running. I did find another script that I'm looking at implementing as well. I'm excited about the newest one I found because instead of pushing the data to Google Sheets, it pumps all the data into GA via Measurement Protocol. The person who made the Script also built out a couple of dashboards in GA to support the script as well. I've added the Dashboards into my GA account and I added the script into Adwords. It is throwing an error though. The script is calling for a value from the Keywords Performance Report in the Adwords API (KeywordText) and it's not a valid field. When I get some free time, I'm going to edit the script and get it corrected to pull the KeywordText.

Reactions: mwpistell
An interesting update from adwords about view-through conversions, the time window starting Mar 29 is shrinking from 30 days to 1 day.

Updating the default window for view-through conversions

Consumers are constantly on the go, scrolling past ads as they read the news and swiping past them as they browse their favorite apps. Your messages often reach people even when they don’t click. For instance, someone may see your ad for a holiday promotion on a blog during their morning commute and then decide to make purchase later that day. That’s why view-through conversions, or VTCs, are important—they help you understand the impact of your ad impressions on campaign performance.

Starting March 29th, 2017, we’re updating the default window for view-through conversions from 30 days to 1 day. This means only conversions that happen within one day of an ad impression will be reported as VTCs by default. “We've found ad views are more likely to lead to a purchase within 1 day, when our message is fresh in customers’ minds,” says Ben Wainberg, Manager of Display Marketing at Jet.com.

This change applies to new and existing conversion actions that use the default window for VTCs (https://goo.gl/hIHV5t) and doesn’t affect conversion windows for interactions, like clicks and video views (https://goo.gl/6VvjRd). If you want to customize the view-through conversion window, you can still do so under “Conversions” in the Tools tab (https://goo.gl/PKNpln).

Check out our Help Center article to learn more about VTCs (https://goo.gl/YmTkPu).

• Useful