• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer.com "And Search"

VVAuto1

Hat Trick
May 18, 2012
First Name
Victor
My dealer.com advisor is the best! However I am stuck and guess I dont take no very well.....

I am looking for a way to hack the system and do a "And" Search through the URL strand on the V9.

From what I understand the new platform does this, however because I'm on the group site I'm under the impression I cant upgrade to the new platform as of yet.

Example customer search at once

-Chevy
-Ford

Maybe it really isnt possible on the V9 I just want to explore all options.

My dealer.com advisor is the best! However I am stuck and guess I dont take no very well.....

I am looking for a way to hack the system and do a "And" Search through the URL strand on the V9.

From what I understand the new platform does this, however because I'm on the group site I'm under the impression I cant upgrade to the new platform as of yet.

Example customer search at once

-Chevy
-Ford

Maybe it really isnt possible on the V9 I just want to explore all options.

PM me! ;)

Reactions: 1 person
I highly doubt you will be able to "hack" that into the system.
I've gone wayyyy deep into some front-end hacks on Dealer.com sites, but that's a back-end hack you're asking for. Although you can see the query strings, they're being parsed, handled and processed on code you'll never see.

I also echo the sentiments above - I've never seen anyone trying to search like that with manufacturers.
I have seen it with trims though - if people know they want a Lariat or an XLT sometimes we get searches for "f-150 lariat xlt".

The V9 sites I have seen don't support this out of the box. Not in my testing anyways.
Also, this request seems to make very little sense to me.

You're going to have people who search for "Toyota Camry LE" seeing a RAV4 because your query is "CONTAINS `toyota` OR `camry` or `le`" - in my opinion you will have more searches on that front and less on the new front. If you did it, you would have to do an AND query first and append OR results to the end of the real results so that you aren't showing the wrong vehicles first. "Sort by Relevance" or something..

Are you currently tracking your searches in Google analytics to see if people are searching like this? I looked through some of mine, and I didn't see any searches like that.
Search.jpg Yes we are tracking searches typed in directly on our website, pretty cool data. Sorry for just giving the example of brand. While many consumers may not shop like this I think the thought behind it is allow the consumer to shop the way they want to.

Craig sorry if I miscommunicated, this is a good example of what I'm looking for, AN.jpg ( doesnt have to have the cool functionality but its easy - and they encourage you to shop multiple brands/models)

I'm not stuck on just brand and model, but maybe more importantly color and trim (inside of an advanced search feature)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I like this idea much more. Where we come from we call it "search tags" and it does exactly that - it allows you to specify optional tags you would like to see, but that are not required. I have never included critical data like make/model into it, but I've done it many times with things like star ratings (4 or 5 both given as options) and colors/trim would also make sense.

Hopefully they can sort that out and make it work for you - if it's in the new platform that's pretty neat.