• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer.com - Deep Linking to Detail Page by Stock Number?

ArtMorris

Boss
Aug 3, 2010
First Name
Art
Is there a way to craft a URL to my dealer.com site that leads directly to a vehicle based upon stock number? I.E.

www.bobbyrahalhonda.com/detail.asp?45646 --> To view the detail page for stock number 45646.

I want to be able to print a QR code on a window sticker that will take our customers directly to the detail page for the car they are standing beside.

If this is not possible, is there a way in ControlCenter to export a list of URLs for all of my inventory, with the stock number? I.E.

http://www.bobbyrahaltoyota.com/certified/Toyota/2008-Toyota-4RUNNER-60b3425c0a0a0064011a594c4b15908c.htm --> TP5088

If I could export this data easily, then I could create my own lookup script:

1. QR code points to m.bobbyrahal.com?TP5088
2. My webserver looks up "TP5088" and finds the corresponding URL.
3. My webserver redirects customer to http://www.bobbyrahaltoyota.com/certified/Toyota/2008-Toyota-4RUNNER-60b3425c0a0a0064011a594c4b15908c.htm

Any thoughts?

We have discussed using QR Codes on the Window Stickers here and the easiest way I have found to accompish what you are talking about it by using Dealer.com to print your Window Stickers. Your Account Manager should be able to show you how this works and it seemed pretty affordable from what I remember. Their Window Stickers put the QR Code on there for you and already have the Deep Link to that specific vehicle. Hope this help.

We have been able to:

Create a unique QR code that goes to our system unique per car page.
Create a unique QR code that goes to a unique mobile per car page.
Send those toprint in the window labels.
Send those with the cars on the feeds as an extra jpg.
Send those to print companies for dealers to use.

If we did it it means that DDC can also do it... The QR code technology is free and it should be a simple process to set up in a server. I would start asking them and see if they can set it up or, ask your inventory company (homenet, DS, autobase, etc).

We have discussed using QR Codes on the Window Stickers here and the easiest way I have found to accompish what you are talking about it by using Dealer.com to print your Window Stickers. Your Account Manager should be able to show you how this works and it seemed pretty affordable from what I remember. Their Window Stickers put the QR Code on there for you and already have the Deep Link to that specific vehicle. Hope this help.

Unfortunately that's not going to work for me. We already print out custom window stickers for all of our vehicles using software I wrote. I want to enhance my existing software by adding the QR code to the printout. Good suggestion, it just won't work for me.

Art,

Look at the last photo in the sequence: 2006 Acura MDX - Honda Auto Center of Bellevue, Bellevue, WA

We did it by pretty much using similar links to what you have from DDC and feeding them back to the inventory tool.

My guess is that DDC can take a simple file from you and parse those to the correct cars.

Is that what you are looking for?

I hope that my example will encourage you that it can be done.

Art,

I dont know to what extent people will use that in the feed QRcode. Our thinking was that--me for example--many people don't have printers at home (or have no toner!) so this was an easy way for customers to grab the data and carry it with them.

Well, I couldn't find a way to easily export a list of stock numbers and URLs, so I had to do it the hard way.

I wrote a program that downloads sitemap.xml and parses it for all of the VDP URLs. For each VDP it finds, it downloads the HTML and then parses that for the stock number. It pushes the stocknum->URL data pair into a database, which is then used for URL shortening and direct access to the VDP by stock number:

http://qr.bobbyrahal.com/?P5212

The above link should take you directly to a '06 325ci.

The next step is to automatically generate a QR code for each window sticker we print...

Last edited: