• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

DealerRater and JD Power Join Forces?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
DealerRater and JD Power dropped a bomb and announced their alliance. I this big news for the industry! Good and/or bad for some.

"Customers who receive an automotive survey from J.D. Power will have an opportunity at the end of the questionnaire to post a rating and review of their selling or servicing dealership to the DealerRater website."

The alliance will integrate DealerRater’s customer ratings and reviews dealerships with J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction insights via J.D. Power’s customer experience management platform. Dealers will be able to see and analyze their online reputation as reported by DealerRater side-by-side with J.D. Power’s survey-based customer feedback.
The consolidation of Surveys and Reviews I believe could bring about some significant data that could help Dealers, OEM's and Consumers alike.

What do you think of this alliance? Will you as a dealership be okay with the consumer having he ability to review their experience with your dealership after taking a JD Power Customer Satisfaction survey?

If you have a question, please post in the comments. If we get enough questions, I'll personally reach out to each company for answers in a summed up post for on the blog. Plus, I'm sure we will see Ryan in here answering questions as they pertain to dealers and DealerRater.

You can read the full press release here.

Last edited:
This is curious.

A) From a consumer's point of view, why would one want to take the extra time to fill out the same review twice?

B) Doesn't JD Power own the consumer's review if they are the one who's initiated contact with the consumer? If so, what is the value that DealerRater brings to the table if JD Power already has the content of the review?

In working with a large Customer Feedback company in Healthcare, their data has shown that the more cumbersome the review process, the less valuable the content of the reviews are.

Ryan,
Can you shed some light or provide background on this statement from Mike Battaglia in the release?

"Further, this relationship protects our clients by avoiding the potential intellectual property issues associated with scraping online social media content"

Reactions: 1 person
This is curious.

A) From a consumer's point of view, why would one want to take the extra time to fill out the same review twice?

I believe that it was Google's ZMOT book, but it may have been a Shopper Sciences article, that stated that the driving factor for most online reviews was altruism. Consumers submit reviews because they genuinely want to help the person next door make a wise decision. It is an extremely interesting aspect of consumer behavior but not one that is original to online reviews. Very little detail has been released as of yet on the mechanics, but we do not anticipate any additional "work" for the consumer. Submitting a review that is immediately visible to other consumers satisfies a basic need.

Many tend to use "surveys" and "reviews" interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.

B) Doesn't JD Power own the consumer's review if they are the one who's initiated contact with the consumer? If so, what is the value that DealerRater brings to the table if JD Power already has the content of the review?

Much of the material benefit of this partnership to dealers and consumers is yet to be released. The goal is to provide dealers a level of consumer sentiment intelligence that doesn't currently exist in the marketplace. Here is what I can say definitively , part of the value of this partnership is consolidation of effort in an extremely fragmented facet of the business. For many this will absolutely help them to focus on the touch-points and process improvement required to gain positive reviews instead of the mechanics of requesting them, and JD Power continues to play a vital role in that initiative.

Ryan,
Can you shed some light or provide background on this statement from Mike Battaglia in the release?

"Further, this relationship protects our clients by avoiding the potential intellectual property issues associated with scraping online social media content"

I don't want to speak for Mr. Battaglia, but I'd guess he's referring to one of the critical issues facing the industry today of vendors and/or software accessing or displaying content within their platforms by unapproved methods such as "scraping." I also can't speak for other review sites, but our TOU is clear that the only approved method of accessing our ratings and reviews is via the DealerRater API. This partnership provides JD Power authorized, complete and consistent access to DealerRater ratings and reviews via the DealerRater API.

I believe that it was Google's ZMOT book, but it may have been a Shopper Sciences article, that stated that the driving factor for most online reviews was altruism. Consumers submit reviews because they genuinely want to help the person next door make a wise decision. It is an extremely interesting aspect of consumer behavior but not one that is original to online reviews. Very little detail has been released as of yet on the mechanics, but we do not anticipate any additional "work" for the consumer. Submitting a review that is immediately visible to other consumers satisfies a basic need.

Many tend to use "surveys" and "reviews" interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.

Much of the material benefit of this partnership to dealers and consumers is yet to be released. The goal is to provide dealers a level of consumer sentiment intelligence that doesn't currently exist in the marketplace. Here is what I can say definitively , part of the value of this partnership is consolidation of effort in an extremely fragmented facet of the business. For many this will absolutely help them to focus on the touch-points and process improvement required to gain positive reviews instead of the mechanics of requesting them, and JD Power continues to play a vital role in that initiative.

I don't want to speak for Mr. Battaglia, but I'd guess he's referring to one of the critical issues facing the industry today of vendors and/or software accessing or displaying content within their platforms by unapproved methods such as "scraping." I also can't speak for other review sites, but our TOU is clear that the only approved method of accessing our ratings and reviews is via the DealerRater API. This partnership provides JD Power authorized, complete and consistent access to DealerRater ratings and reviews via the DealerRater API.

Bring it on!

800px-Uss_iowa_bb-61_pr.jpg