• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

DealerSocket, get your act together (RANT)

A shady vendor has a good reason to discredit a forum like DealerRefresh: DealerRefresh keeps them honest.

DealerRefresh is where we (dealers) get together and discuss what works best for us, how much we should pay for various services, what we should pay our employees.

Just as a labor union helps protect employees from exploitative employers (by sharing information, collective bargaining, etc), DealerRefresh helps protect dealerships from exploitative vendors.

Those representatives have their heads in the sand. They are selling to an industry that has been radically changed by the availability of information to consumers. Didn't they think the seachange in our business was going to change the way they do business?

Thank you for standing up for our community. Perhaps we need an attitude like "show me the carfax!" so vendors know to put their internet forum prejudices away when doing business with us...

"Oh you want to swindle me? No thanks, I'm Refreshed."

In this case, I think it was a learning experience for them. I consider myself part of the Refresh community and I'm sure they had never met one of "us". I believe this vendor group found me positive and knowledgeable. It was not what they expected. I continue to do business with them; infact, I have increased my expenditure. I talked to my rep today and another one of their reps visited this morning. I had this type of relationship when I was in Dallas and it continues in Phoenix.

"Oh you want to swindle me? No thanks, I'm Refreshed."

I like that!! :)

Alex, I was at a seminar last month that was hosted by a very well known vendor. A comment was made about people that post on DealerRefresh as if this was a negative thing. I immediately made it clear that I was one of "those people". Several of the people, that were representing this vendor, seemed to be shocked by my announcement. Did you know that DealerRefresh is a subversive group? I don't think anyone from my group had any idea what we were talking about. Actually, I have defended my use of this vendor on this forum. I continue to use them and have increased my expenditure.

I have a lot of friends in that organization and have been a loyal client ....they just need to connect the dots.

Doug, thanks for speaking up and taking up for the community. It astounds me to hear this but not surprising. You'd be amazed how many calls I've received from vendors asking me to remove a thread or comment; not to mention the several siest and desist letters over the last several years. Most of them have found their way to the trash can.

Most are afraid of accountability.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw this thread a few months ago and really didn't understand. I used DealerSocket for about five years but that was three years ago. I recently went through an install of DealerSocket at both of my stores. I was actually excited to have it and the ILM we were using was ancient. One of the first things I was told, "you won't recognize DealerSocket having been three years". Actually, there were some changes but it was the same CRM that I was fond of. What I didn't recognize is the level of customer service. During the first install, I asked the rep to make sure that my ISMs had visibility of each others leads and could take the lead and reassign it (to themselves) if it was 5 minutes old. Didn't happen. They have a utility called List Builder that is way complicated. I asked them to build one, for me, where I could do a simple search for any customer that inquired about a certain model over lets say 6 months. I was assured that this was no problem but that didn't happen. The following week, we had the second install but with a different couple of reps. I asked them to do the same things, for me. Didn't happen. After they had left, I called tech support and asked for the same things. It took three calls and the average wait was 15 to 20 minutes. I gave up on the utility but my guys can see each others leads and take them when necessary. Talking with other people around our small group, this is a company that has grown too fast. I saw a post where they got 90 dealers in 90 days. On the over an hour that I was on hold, I heard numerous times where they have a 90% retention rate. For those that don't know me. I am approaching 500 comments on DealerRefresh. This is the first time that I have been critical of a vendor. DealerSocket is a good CRM but there are others out there. If there is a next time, I'm going to do some serious shopping.

I saw this thread a few months ago and really didn't understand. I used DealerSocket for about five years but that was three years ago. I recently went through an install of DealerSocket at both of my stores. I was actually excited to have it and the ILM we were using was ancient. One of the first things I was told, "you won't recognize DealerSocket having been three years". Actually, there were some changes but it was the same CRM that I was fond of. What I didn't recognize is the level of customer service. During the first install, I asked the rep to make sure that my ISMs had visibility of each others leads and could take the lead and reassign it (to themselves) if it was 5 minutes old. Didn't happen. They have a utility called List Builder that is way complicated. I asked them to build one, for me, where I could do a simple search for any customer that inquired about a certain model over lets say 6 months. I was assured that this was no problem but that didn't happen. The following week, we had the second install but with a different couple of reps. I asked them to do the same things, for me. Didn't happen. After they had left, I called tech support and asked for the same things. It took three calls and the average wait was 15 to 20 minutes. I gave up on the utility but my guys can see each others leads and take them when necessary. Talking with other people around our small group, this is a company that has grown too fast. I saw a post where they got 90 dealers in 90 days. On the over an hour that I was on hold, I heard numerous times where they have a 90% retention rate. For those that don't know me. I am approaching 500 comments on DealerRefresh. This is the first time that I have been critical of a vendor. DealerSocket is a good CRM but there are others out there. If there is a next time, I'm going to do some serious shopping.

You are right about List Builder. It is a very powerful tool but could be built in a much more intuitive way. Not every dealership has a computer programming that can think through the database using Logic statements to find the data you need. Once you get the hang of it, it gets better but it could be so much easier to use.

As for customer support, if I have a serious concern, I do not even bother calling them because the first level of support know less than I do about the system most of the time and I spend more time trying to explain what I am trying to accomplish than they do it trying to fix it (which most of the time they can't.) I would recommend reaching out directly to your account rep and letting him either help or contact a higher up in support that can help with your issues.

I will say this, as many issues as I have had with DealerSocket, there have not been many that were not fixed once I got to the correct person. But just list with ListBuilder, it should not have to be that difficult.

I had an issue with DealerSocket, today. I called tech support, on a Saturday, and got right through. The lady wasn't able to help and said she would escalate the ticket. I wasn't too optimistic. I walked out of my office for a few minutes and was paged for a call. The tier two person was calling. I walked back to my office and noticed that he had already tried calling my cell. He had identified the problem and walked me through resolving it. Honestly, I was impressed.

Reactions: 3 people