• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Domain name recommendations?

jmoses

Full Sticker
Apr 30, 2010
First Name
Joe
Hey guys,

We are looking to obtain a new domain for our GM dealership, as our current domain is obviously limited by its pontiac only reference, along with the fact that it doesn't really remain consistent with our other child site names. Generally, what we try to do for our domain names is www. Preston (insert brand here).com.

*Edit: forgot to leave out a few important details... Our current domain which i was referring to is www.prestonpontiaccars.com. Also, just as a note, we also have Cadillac in addition to Buick & GMC.*

With that being said, PrestonGM is unavailable. Doing a quick domain check on a few, this is what is available:

* Preston-GM.com
* PrestonGeneralMotors.com
* GMofNewCastle.com
* prestonGMcars.com

I initially want to say Preston-GM.com would make the most sense. However, I wanted to first get the opinion from those of you who have more experience with domain name choice and SEO. Do you guys see any problems/limitations by choosing a domain with a '-'? Any advise or other recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Joe Moses
IT Marketing Manager
Preston Auto Group
Preston Auto Group | Pittsburgh-Youngstown-Sharon-New Castle-Warren | New-Used PA and OH Dealer
[email protected]

Last edited:
I agree with GMofnewcastle.com or prestonbuickgmc.com. Only Germans use hyphens-between-every-word-in-their-domain.com. Spent 3 years over there. Love the country, love the people, never got the domain names:)

All the Best - Eric

You may want to consider getting the domain with the - and setting up a micro site to help place higher organically for your dealership name in the engines.

For the $8 - $10 its well worth picking up and implementing even as just a few page microsite touting your dealership story.

Just my .02