• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dynamic Remarketing Is Far More Useful To Dealers than Regular Remarketing

mwpistell

3rd Base Coach
Jul 20, 2011
First Name
Michael
Google’s new dynamic remarketing feature is hands down the best release from Google I’ve seen in a long time. I’ve created a low cost dynamic remarketing campaigns for dealerships that gets buyers back to your site at a higher rate than any regular remarketing campaign.

Regular remarketing campaigns allows you to show ads to people who have previously visited your site. Dynamic remarketing takes this a step further, letting you show previous visitors ads that contain the actual cars they viewed on your site.

Anyone else using this product? I haven’t seen any other dealer with this yet. Missed opportunity IMO.

For example, here's what a dynamic remarketing ad I made looks like for one of my dealers:

3PtZ6ci.png

Ad design follows cues from the landing page. The picture(s) used are the exact cars that I browsed on their site. The ad itself is interactive, you can scroll to see other cars you've seen and their prices.

Reactions: Rick Buffkin
I beta tested something similar a few years back. Actually it was almost identical to your ad. Dynamically build the retargeting ad's with inventory the customer actually viewed and insert similar vehicles into the ad as well. It worked great I thought. Upper Mgmt wanted the provider we were using at the time to manage the Marketing with adwords so I shut my experiment down. Alot of things have changed since then though ;)

I was only tracking a conversions via the "confirmation page" when a form was submitted. What really blew my mind was the "view through" conversions. Here's my stats

The test ran from the 2nd week of Oct 2013 through the 1st week of Dec 2013. So basically 2 months.

Clicks: 1,624
Impr: 1,006,968
CTR: 0.16%
Avg. CPC: $1.83
Total Cost: $2,968.52
Conversions: 16
Cost / conv: $149.54
View-Through conv: 133

So, adding view through conv. and conversions together it comes out to $19.92 for a form lead from the website with that experiment. I wish I would have had some other conversion tracking items in there. I'm sure we had phone calls, chats and other leads that I didn't track. Are you having similar results with your remarketing ad's? Better...worse????

I was going to say I didn't think this was a new feature as we have been doing it for a long time within the strategy we employ for our dealers. It has however become a bigger talking point over the last few months it seems. Perhaps some vendors are pitching it as a new shiny item. It certainly has its place, and due to the complexity and individuality of the ads themselves there is that inherent "cool" and "must have" factor to it.

Like everything... figure out where it fits within the overall strategy, deploy, test, optimize and review regularly. Make data-backed decisions (like Rick above^).

Dynamic Remarketing on the display network was in limited beta until about 6 months ago, some smart people got early access to it in 2013 if your product feed was in Google Merchant Center. Even then, it was tailored to ecommerce stores, Google had yet to catch up with Automotive.
However today I'm extremely happy with the overall performance, they're converting at a 51% higher rate than the control group (regular remarketing).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Buffkin