EVs are coming, but for how long?

GM buys out nearly half of its Buick dealers across the country, who opt to not sell EVs​

General Motors said nearly half its Buick dealers took buyouts this year rather than invest in selling and servicing electric vehicles as the automaker's brands transition to all electric by 2030.

That means GM will end 2023 with about 1,000 Buick stores nationwide, down 47% from where it started the year.

This is a good deal for both parties, I can see lot of Buick GMC stores in rural markets not wanting to pull the trigger on 300-400k to meet image compliance. They know their bread and butter is trucks and SUVs so no brainer. The remainder are metro/suburbs where it makes sense to roll the dice on a Buick rebrand.

Buick has traditionally struggled to separate itself after the '10 brand re-org so it make sense to go in a different direction. How they compare to Cadillac is a big question now as they have done the same thing with bigger $. Do I have faith in Buick....:dunno:

This is a good deal for both parties, I can see lot of Buick GMC stores in rural markets not wanting to pull the trigger on 300-400k to meet image compliance. They know their bread and butter is trucks and SUVs so no brainer. The remainder are metro/suburbs where it makes sense to roll the dice on a Buick rebrand.

Buick has traditionally struggled to separate itself after the '10 brand re-org so it make sense to go in a different direction. How they compare to Cadillac is a big question now as they have done the same thing with bigger $. Do I have faith in Buick....:dunno:

Never fully understand why they kept Buick and not Pontiac. I head it was because Buick has strong presence and brand in other Countries like China.

People in the comments are adding some extra context: “Many of the orders (including mine ) were cancelled because dealers are marking up the prices way over MSRP!”
Not only this, but I also know multiple people who ordered a Cybertruck and a Lightning and cancelled their Lightning order with the expectation that the Cybertruck is going to be the better of the 2 options. Maybe in 2025 when the $60,000 Cybertruck drops we will be able to gauge the interest better, but by then there could be 20 new Chinese EV companies in North America.

Even in trucks alone, there is:
  • LDV eT60
  • JAC Hunter
  • Great Wall Motors CyberP!ckup / Poer
  • Foton Tunland
  • many many more...

1706254217097.png

Reactions: craigh

Ford slashes price of electric Mustang Mach-E after sales plunge​

The automaker cut the electric Mustang Mach-E's price as much as $8,100 after sales tumbled 51 percent in January.

Ford Motor Co. cut the price of its electric Mustang Mach-E by much as $8,100 after its sales tumbled 51 percent in January when the automaker had to stop offering tax incentives on the EV.

The automaker lowered prices on multiple versions of the 2023 model Mach-E, ranging from $3,100 to $8,100, according to an emailed statement Tuesday. The battery-powered crossover that Ford makes in Mexico now starts at $39,895, down from $42,995. The biggest discount is offered on several versions, including the high-end premium model with an extended range battery, now starting at $45,895.

Amid an industrywide slowdown in electric vehicle demand, Ford’s EV sales fell 11 percent in January. On Jan. 1, the Mach-E lost its eligibility for a $3,750 US tax credit as the Biden administration tightened rules on stimulus measures to prevent EV makers from sourcing battery materials from China and other foreign adversaries. Ford also is cutting production of the Mach-E and the F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck.

“We are adjusting pricing for 2023 models as we continue to adapt to the market to achieve the optimal mix of sales growth and customer value,” Ford said in the statement.

Original Article

Ford slashes price of electric Mustang Mach-E after sales plunge​

The automaker cut the electric Mustang Mach-E's price as much as $8,100 after sales tumbled 51 percent in January.

Ford Motor Co. cut the price of its electric Mustang Mach-E by much as $8,100 after its sales tumbled 51 percent in January when the automaker had to stop offering tax incentives on the EV.

The automaker lowered prices on multiple versions of the 2023 model Mach-E, ranging from $3,100 to $8,100, according to an emailed statement Tuesday. The battery-powered crossover that Ford makes in Mexico now starts at $39,895, down from $42,995. The biggest discount is offered on several versions, including the high-end premium model with an extended range battery, now starting at $45,895.

Amid an industrywide slowdown in electric vehicle demand, Ford’s EV sales fell 11 percent in January. On Jan. 1, the Mach-E lost its eligibility for a $3,750 US tax credit as the Biden administration tightened rules on stimulus measures to prevent EV makers from sourcing battery materials from China and other foreign adversaries. Ford also is cutting production of the Mach-E and the F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck.

“We are adjusting pricing for 2023 models as we continue to adapt to the market to achieve the optimal mix of sales growth and customer value,” Ford said in the statement.

Original Article
I can't wait until I get the Blazers that were supposed to be here 3 months ago!